• D7100 (body only) $489

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters

jtswjs22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I am looking to buy a camera. Im a complete noob but really interested in photography. Ive come down to the Nikon D5300 and the Nikon D7100

Here is a deal I found on eBay for the D5300 Nikon D5300 Digital SLR Camera + 3 Lens Kit 18-55mm + 32GB Amazing Value Bundle

but I also found the D7100 on adorama for $489 refurbished however it is camera only Nikon D5300

The D5300 looks like a good deal on eBay (and it is running out quickly). Being a beginner Im not that well trained in finding what an actual good deal is when it comes to cameras, is the eBay link for the d7100 better than the d5300? Or does the d5300 come with enough accessories to make it worth it? Thanks for the help

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You posted the D5300 link twice but no one will look at those links anyways.

The D7100 is a better camera by a nice margin and as a beginner you'd get basically the same
images out of the two but with more room to upgrade with good lenses depending on what you
want to shoot with the 7100. It's faster (good for sports, kids etc..).

I'd get the 7100 and a sigma or tamron 17-50 F/2.8 lens, but there's no way of knowing what
lens you'd need since you probably don't even know it yourself right now or the above question
wouldn't have been posted. :)

You can't go wrong with either.
If you're more serious about photography get the best body you can.

If you're more serious about photography get the best body you can.
If you're serious with photography get a body that has many direct controls and many good lenses and other utilities (flashes) offered.

Which means the D7100 is indeed closer to this ideal than the D5300.

Ok guys thanks for the advice. The D7100 is selling refurbed for $489 and new for $799. Have you had any experience with refurbed models? Id be buying from here: Reviews: Nikon D7100 DX-format Digital SLR Camera Body, Black - Refurbished by Nikon U.S.A.

Id prefer to save the money and go pick up a nice lens with the savings. Thanks for the help.

I managed to find a tamron 17-50 on craigslist used for $200. Seems like a pretty good deal, or do you guys recommend going all new?

Adorama has an excellent reputation, so I would not be nervous about buying a used body from them.

The CL ad also looks good to me, and I might be tempted to increase my budget and take all three.

I would probably buy a used lens or two even if I had to get a used lens from someplace else. Adorama has those as well. Also B&H, and KEH also very good reputations.

For the camera body, I will choose the 7100 over 5300 based on the controls, ability to use older Nikon lenses with AF. As for Used or refurbished equipment, over 80% of my photographer gears are used or refurbished and that include camera bodies, lenses, flashes. So far so good.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back