Looking to start a home studio.

Derrell had showed me a great starter kit from Adorama a Flashpoint set but the shipping was 180 for the set. :(

shipping is free from Adorama --

this is the setup derrell suggested (i believe)

FPBK1 Flashpoint Budget Studio Monolight Flash Basic Kit with 2 160 Watt Second Flashes, 7' Light Stands, 33" White Umbrellas & Softex Carrying Case.

and it's just 199 - shipping is FREE!

Flash gives much better lighting, and freezes action. problem with continuous lighting is you usually have either stay in the wide open aperture or longer exposure, which won't be sharp with someone breathing.

I've been doing a LOT of research on these basic setups - big difference in flash vs continous lighting (said Mr Obvious) with most of the benefits on the flash side.

The 1000 watts you posted above is not a lot of light by any means when it comes to portraits, and doesn't compare the same as the 160watt flash. the 160 is measured in a second, the continuous using another factor, but it's not 840 watts brighter. The flash is much better.

that's all I can offer on this subject. i'm sure there are others that can correct my inaccuracies.

that was thinking back in the day. many, portrait photographers are now using continuous light. Lighting now days is more the preference of the user.

There will always be a debate on this subject and will get even more divided as LED and improvements to CFL continue.

This is a good little article on the pro's and cons of each.

Comparison Continuous vs. Flash Lighting by ALZO digital

So would my OP be a good start and then upgrade later?

Not really, no. Not for the amount of money you're putting into it when you could just save a bit and get the more recommended one.

Hmm you mean like the softboxes and stuff? I want to ask the OP one for x-mas because it's cheap lol. The softboxes are more then double so. I don't know I guess you get what you pay for right. What's wrong with the Op one? Not powerfull enough?

Continuous lighting with low-end lights is sort of a joke, I think.

You can not get a set up for 90.00 that you will be able to actually use.

For continuous light setup you will need at least 400w adjustable light ea. IMHO

What woud be something you would recommend Derrel? I am looking to start a small studio in the basement or something, white backdrop something simple.

Derrell had showed me a great starter kit from Adorama a Flashpoint set but the shipping was 180 for the set. :(

shipping is free from Adorama --

this is the setup derrell suggested (i believe)

FPBK1 Flashpoint Budget Studio Monolight Flash Basic Kit with 2 160 Watt Second Flashes, 7' Light Stands, 33" White Umbrellas & Softex Carrying Case.

and it's just 199 - shipping is FREE!

Flash gives much better lighting, and freezes action. problem with continuous lighting is you usually have either stay in the wide open aperture or longer exposure, which won't be sharp with someone breathing.

I've been doing a LOT of research on these basic setups - big difference in flash vs continous lighting (said Mr Obvious) with most of the benefits on the flash side.

The 1000 watts you posted above is not a lot of light by any means when it comes to portraits, and doesn't compare the same as the 160watt flash. the 160 is measured in a second, the continuous using another factor, but it's not 840 watts brighter. The flash is much better.

that's all I can offer on this subject. i'm sure there are others that can correct my inaccuracies.

Um sorry Shipping is NOT free when you live in Canada. And if you had noticed both Bram and I live in Canada.

There's one that's $55 more expensive, but actually worth spending money on posted in this thread already.

No, I was talking about the one for $199 that Doziergraphic suggested. But I just realized that you live in Canada, after MWCfarms post that seemed like everyone should know the geographic location of their fellow forum members, or at least check it before each post. (I never do that, ever. Unless a member has poor English and I'm looking for a reason why)

So, you may want to just not buy the one in the OP because it's not ever going to be worth your money. According to any person you ask.

Hmm yeah I figured that, Yeah the shipping from Adorama to canada sucks that's for sure. So now i'm just checking craigslist and ebay. I kind of want to refrain from buying from ebay but i guess we'll have to see.

Really? You wouldn't want to go see the item you're actually buying? I guess that's beside the point here but yeah, i'm just searching for a lighting setup.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back