Looking to upgrade from a Nikon D40

~myStical~

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone !

I currently own a Nikon D40 and i am looking to upgrade to another DSLR . The type of photography i do are portraits , close ups and some landscapes . Would like to start shooting some macro shots too . I know that would be talking about different kind of lenses . Anyways , So I want to spend around $400-800 . Also , i would like the camera to be medium in size nothing too bigger than the nikon d40 ..nothing too small either. A medium size camera . :scratch:

Pleaseee any suggestions would be great . Thank you !

hmm any reason you want to upgrade from the d40?

i say sell the d40+add in $800 and get a d7000

The closest replacement to the D40 is the 3100. You get a bit more features if you bump up to the 5100. If you really want to go balls out, the 7000. You can still find 3000/5000's at some places that may still have some inventory left over, or, find gently used ones (a lot of people, like myself, sold our 3k/5k's to upgrade to the 7k.

What do you guys think of d80 and d90 ?
With the nikon d40 no auto-focus was sometimes an issue .

What is the main reason for the upgrade? If you have some extra cash and just want something newer is different from you run into limitations of the camera D40 and want to replace the camera to overcome those limitations.

The closest replacement to the D40 is the 3100. You get a bit more features if you bump up to the 5100. If you really want to go balls out, the 7000. You can still find 3000/5000's at some places that may still have some inventory left over, or, find gently used ones (a lot of people, like myself, sold our 3k/5k's to upgrade to the 7k.

I'll definitively look into 3100 and 5100 ... heard about the 7000 but its little too expensive for me .

thank u .

Are you planning to get some of the older generation lens? From what I read, most of the newer better Nikon lenses do not need the focus motor in the camera body. But of course, they usually cost more.

I think for camera body itself, it maybe better to visit a local store and see them in person. Once you know about how they feel and price range, you may narrow it down to few bodies. Then you can research and compare them online.

Are you planning to get some of the older generation lens? From what I read, most of the newer better Nikon lenses do not need the focus motor in the camera body. But of course, they usually cost more.

I think for camera body itself, it maybe better to visit a local store and see them in person. Once you know about how they feel and price range, you may narrow it down to few bodies. Then you can research and compare them online.

One of of the main reason for upgrading is the no auto-focus on the d40 . Whenever im looking to buy lenses i always have to look for lenses w/ autofocus motors .
You are absolutely right , i should go to a store and check some out .

I wouldn't mind switching to a canon either , any suggestions on canon guys ?

Just researched a little on the 3100 and 5100 both do not have a focusing motor in the camera body..just like the nikon d40 . I dont like having to spend extra money on Nikon AF-S lenses . :(

If the D90 is in your price range and the D7000 is out of your range, get the D90. The D90 has a huge fan base that equals a huge support base. It is very capable and has great dedicated controls that the D40, 3000, 3100, 5000, 5100 etc don't have.

I upgraded from the D40 to the D7000 and I still prefer lenses with built in motors. They seem quieter. They are more expensive though.

The D40 has awesome ergonomics to me, as well as the D3100. I would love to have a D3100 for this reason. Now that I am used to the dedicated controls of the D7000 I'm screwed (in a spoiled rotten kind of way). It has taken me 6 months to get used to the feel of the D7000 and I'm OK with it now. Just a shocking upgrade, size wise.

And about macro, I think you could do fine with manual focus (not needing a motor). I could be wrong about live subjects that might be quick to move.

d3100 is the only option within that price range

A refurbished D90 at adorama.com is $729. That seems fair since a D7000 body is $480 more. There are a few economical lens options like a 18-55 VR for $99 or a 50mm f/1.8 for (about) $125. But if you already have a lens to get by on...

Most reactions

Back