Losing high key when shooting portrait

antexity

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all!

I have my high key all setup. 2 strobes up front and 2 strobes for the white seamless paper.

I am shooting with a 5d m3. When I am shooting landscape, I get full high key. When I decide to shoot portrait (trigger button pointing up), for an individual shot, I lose the high key on the right (facing) side of the back drop. So I decided to flip the camera the other way (trigger button pointing down), then th left side of the back drop loses high key.

I removed my filters no difference.

Any ideas I can try?

Much appreciated.
Thank you
Jon.

Hi all!

I have my high key all setup. 2 strobes up front and 2 strobes for the white seamless paper.

I am shooting with a 5d m3. When I am shooting landscape, I get full high key. When I decide to shoot portrait (trigger button pointing up), for an individual shot, I lose the high key on the right (facing) side of the back drop. So I decided to flip the camera the other way (trigger button pointing down), then th left side of the back drop loses high key.

I removed my filters no difference.

Any ideas I can try?

Much appreciated.
Thank you
Jon.

Can you show an example of what you’re talking about?

When you say you're losing high key, could you explain? Blowing the white - Not white - what do you mean exactly. Like Jon said, an example image would help.

Also is it the same if you switch lens?

Haha. No gradient filter or polarized filter. I removed all filters for troubleshooting.

Refer to photos. Landscape the back is fully over exposed and when portrait, it’s partial.

Attachments

• F7D361A8-FFAD-4272-8A5A-D16BB7CDC01D.jpeg
    F7D361A8-FFAD-4272-8A5A-D16BB7CDC01D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 180
  • 5373F495-1C7B-4184-A675-BF99F9A43A4B.jpeg
    5373F495-1C7B-4184-A675-BF99F9A43A4B.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 188
I am on my cell phone right now and it's difficult to see your photos. I am wondering if when the camera is turned if the trigger is having a line of sight issue and is not triggering the strobes. Could that possibly be the problem?

I am on my cell phone right now and it's difficult to see your photos. I am wondering if when the camera is turned if the trigger is having a line of sight issue and is not triggering the strobes. Could that possibly be the problem?
Hey Derrel, I checked that as well and the strobes are being kicked off when the trigger is pressed.

Wondering if this is actually just an Out of Gamut Warning issue, which is what it look like to me! The "black" is showing you that the areas are wayyyy OVER-exposed, and are detail-free, hot-white areas. I think that's what's happening here. I think you want to turn the so-called "blinkies" on, not the out of gamut or out of range warning type of review setting.

What do the images look like when on your computer or prints? Have you taken a meter reading over the bg to see if it is evenly lit? I prefer scanning with a reflective meter reading about about 3 stops reflective over my subject incident reading. I am not familiar with what the black means on canon, I shoot nikon, but I agree with Derrel, turn on the blinkies and see what you have. Looks like you are looking for a pure white background. In post, check the bg with the eye dropper tool to see if you are in the 245-255 range across the image.

Most reactions

Back