What's new

Lot of spots on my pictures. dirty lens or sensor?

pavelbarchuk

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 10, 2013
Messages
15
Reaction score
1
Location
Seattle, WA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
been getting a ton of spots on my photos when using the Nikon 14-24 lens on my d800... ive had the sensor professionally cleaned several weeks ago and nothing has changed. had my mom clean the lens, it was spotless and yet I keep getting these spots. :(

$spots2.webp
 
Dirty sensor. I think you need to go back and see whomever cleaned your sensor and ask for a refund. It's easy to do at home, and the cost of one or two "professional" cleanings will more than pay for all of the supplies you need to do it at home. Have you used the built-in sensor cleaning function?
 
Yep, that's a dirty sensor.

But, just because you had the sensor cleaned several weeks ago doesn't necessarily mean that the current state of the sensor is indicative of a poor cleaning. It doesn't take long to muck up a sensor in the right conditions. You can also contribute to it by changing lenses with the power on.

The time to ask for a refund on the cleaning would've been the next day, not several weeks later...
 
Ahh ok. I thought it was my lens. And yeah, I always change lenses with the power on.

I tried using the built in cleaner, it dont make a difference. I'll try getting a cleaning kit and clean it myself.
 
See page 24 of the D800 Reference Manual:
Step #1 -
Turn the camera off.
On page 25 -
Detaching the Lens
Be sure the camera is off when removing or exchanging lenses.

Not turning the camera off to change lenses is one way camera electronics and/or lens electronics can get fried from uncontrolled capacitive discharge.
 
Last edited:
I was at a camera shop that swapped lenses on an A65 (or something like that) while it was on. I cringed. A lot.

From what I know, when the camera is on, it produces an electrostatic charge. That charge tends to be much stronger in the area of the sensor, particularly when that shutter's open, and because of the fact that a lot of the electronics are centered around it out of necessity. That electrostatic charge attracts oppositely charged dust particles, of which there's bound to be trillions in the area you happen to be because nature hates us all. Anyway, turn the camera off, and that charge isn't nearly enough to attract those same dust particles.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom