Lots O' Lightning (part II)

my*

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Another spectacular light show from the Tucson monsoon!! Feel free to make suggestion on improvement

IMG_3736.jpg

IMG_3738.jpg

IMG_3747e1.jpg

IMG_3752e1.jpg

IMG_3755e2.jpg

IMG_3757e2.jpg

IMG_3759e3.jpg

Amazing, my favorite subject is lightning.. It seems like your lightning is alot of Cloud-to-Ground lightning, with a few Fork Lightning shots.. Please, BE CAREFUL when you take this.. CtG lightning IS dangerious.. Make sure to NOT be near open fields.. be around as much tall objects as you can, and do NOT go on high spots..

It seems like your first lightning shot, the house lights are blurred.. I suggest you to try using a 2 second timer (or something short) to reduce a possible blur when you press your shutter button..

Im curious, to two things.. What were your camera settings when you took this picture, and was it raining when you took this??

Im curious, to two things.. What were your camera settings when you took this picture, and was it raining when you took this??

I was not raining at the time. The lightning was pretty far away. I could only hear rumbling thunder. All the pictures were 30 second exposures and iso 100. For the photos over the city lights aperture was around F9. For the other ones it was around F5.6. The city shots could have had a higher aperture. I adjusted the raw image about -1.3.

Seems like you have already had alot of exp with photography especialy with lightning.. quality shots, good job none-the-less :)

Seems like you have already had alot of exp with photography especialy with lightning.. quality shots, good job none-the-less :)

I wouldn't say a lot of experience. I have been doing it for a couple of years. It really helps to live in Tucson during the monsoon. The monsoon lasts for about 2 months so I look forward to it every year. This is my first year using a SLR. All my others were with a point and shoot.
Thanks for the positive feedback.

These are all great, but number 3 is stunning.. That cloud is screaming at you and just roaring out there.. Love it

These are all great, but number 3 is stunning.. That cloud is screaming at you and just roaring out there.. Love it
Thanks for picking your favorite. I find it very interesting which one people choose as "the best". Everyone has such different taste.

I ma new to photography and have not that many lightning shots, but those are absolutly amazing! I wish I was in a position to be taking those kind od shots :D. Number 2 is my favorite, the intertwined bolts look stunning!

I ma new to photography and have not that many lightning shots, but those are absolutly amazing! I wish I was in a position to be taking those kind od shots :D. Number 2 is my favorite, the intertwined bolts look stunning!

I think 2 is my favoriete too. I only wish the bush was not blocking where the lightning hit the ground. If that was out of the way, 2 may be my best ever. It almost looks like the 2 bolts are dancing. (just my impression)

I wouldn't say a lot of experience. I have been doing it for a couple of years. It really helps to live in Tucson during the monsoon. The monsoon lasts for about 2 months so I look forward to it every year. This is my first year using a SLR. All my others were with a point and shoot.
Thanks for the positive feedback.

So where were you set up on this shoot? I'm going to try it again someday, maybe next year I'll have enough experience to really know what I'm trying to do..........you're right, we have wonderful lightning shows here in Tucson -- I'm still very jealous!!

#3 is very ominous -- has to be my favorite!!!

One of thelocal stations put one of my photos on the 10 o'clock new. The chose number 5. Again, very interesting which one people like best.

Most reactions

Back