Low key self-portrait, critique welcomed.

TheMightyGoat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I find I have a hard time with self portraits, due in part to being ugly, but for factors within my control I invite critique.

I took this last night. Suggestions?

P1030923d.jpg

well... it is sharp but i am not fond of the lighting. i also think there is to much empty space at the top.

the pose isn't really flattering, i know you have to hold the camera but it makes your shoulders look weird and combined with the poor lighting its even weirder. sorry if i seem harsh but i'm telling you this with the best of intentions and these are just my thoughts, the thoughts of newbie.

i don't find this low key at all, you should have your whole body very dark and then some bright highlights around edges

props for putting yourself out there...i take self protraits sometimes to play with different light, i am a newb and rarely have access to subjects to photograph when i have free time. i have thought of posting them up but have wussed out.

my opinion is that if your going to have half your face dar with the light's line down the middle of your face (which i dig those kind of photos) your body needs to have the same to make the photo even, and in that case id say favor the left (your right as sitting in the hot seat) more in the photo so that its 2/3 of the right side of your body and only 1/3 of the your body thats being blacked out. just my thoughts.

There's a ton of noise in the shadow side of your face. Looks like it was really dark and you pulled it out with the fill light slider in LR2, or any other means of pulling out shadow detail. When you try and pull stuff out of the shadows, you'll always introduce noise, even if there was none to begin with.

There's a ton of noise in the shadow side of your face. Looks like it was really dark and you pulled it out with the fill light slider in LR2, or any other means of pulling out shadow detail. When you try and pull stuff out of the shadows, you'll always introduce noise, even if there was none to begin with.

No. I darkened it, actually. But it was shot at 400 ISO. My FZ-28 gets noisy at 400 ISO.

It was taken as an experiment more than anything.

Most reactions

Back