Low Light Photography - To Spend Or Not To Spend

jimmayor007

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Low light photography is a challenge; I will sure give you that. There are three things that can help you with your low-light problem:

1. A wider aperture.
2. Adding more light
3. A good photo editing program or a good film scan

1. The Wider Aperture Method
“The more expensive the lens the better photos you can take,” is truly a nomenclature that many will fall into. However, there is some truth to that statement. I am a firm believer that photography is 10 percent camera and 90 percent photographer. Some of the most expensive pieces of artistic photography were taken with a $29.95 Holga.

However, if you are trying to build a house and you have your choice between the carpenter with the Craftsman tools and another with a set of Toys-R-Us Team Talkin' Tools, who would you pick? Who do you think will build the better house? Who do you think will build it in less time?
Consider two photographers, one with a AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR and another with a AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED.
All things considered equal, the one with the 18-55mm will take photos just as good as the one shooting with the 17-55mm IF they are shooting in ideal conditions. IF they are both outside, on a sunny day shooting a landscape scene at 20mm f22 you would expect to see very similar exposures. You run into differences when you get inside a building or the daylight is reduced from a heavy cloud cover. Looking at the aperture setting of f2.8 vs. the f3.5, the photographer with f3.5 will get half as much light in comparison to the f2.8 user. The problem only gets progressively worse when you have to zoom to the 55mm focal range. The photographer shooting with the f2.8 will have a much easier time than the one shooting now at f5.6.

...read the full guide with pics here

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Or you could use a tripod...or just set the camera down on something solid...this will solve the problem, unless you are shooting moving subjects.

Though it contains some good info, I feel I was setup into an ebook or book purchase... lol.

I do not feel that there is much more in that book that is not already either on this forum, or beyond the abilities of someone with a little desire to play and learn.

Probably just a SPAMMER... Trying to sell or scam stuff from his e-bay store. (look at his only other post ;)

Most reactions

Back