Low light portraits - pushing iso vs f-stop vs shutter

You can fix noise in post but not motion blur.

You can fix noise in post but not motion blur.

I photographed a pageant to crown the new Miss Vermont 2014, and was not allowed to use flash. I reluctantly turned the ISO up on my D7000 to 3200 (didn't dare go to 6400), and just started shooting away. I was at the low end of acceptable shutter speeds, but with good technique got several keepers. This is one of those shots with just a small amount of noise reduction applied in Photoshop.

DSC_9506.jpg

Nailing the exposure is critical when shooting at high ISO. Noise will show up more in shadow's, and underexposed area's. Leaning a bit towards overexposing is fine. When you recover the image in post the noise will be less than if the image was underexposed.

As a former Vermonter I can say she must be from out of state!

I have recently been shoot football games at night and I am constantly at max ISO just to freeze motion. I am always surprised at how much software can do to save a noise photo.

Recent Example: f/6.3 | ISO 12800 | 1/320 | 400mm
K52A3596 by runnah555, on Flickr

As a former Vermonter I can say she must be from out of state!

I have recently been shoot football games at night and I am constantly at max ISO just to freeze motion. I am always surprised at how much software can do to save a noise photo.

Recent Example: f/6.3 | ISO 12800 | 1/320 | 400mm
K52A3596 by runnah555, on Flickr

That is an amazing shot, what camera was it taken with? Even with extensive noise reduction work I have my doubts that ISO 6400 would come out that clean on a D7000.

Actually all the women in the competition are born and bred native Vermonters. Here's a photo of the girl that actually won it. I will however say, while some of the contestants were quite beautiful, their intelligence levels had me looking for the nearest hole to crawl in to. It is incredible how ignorant our society is becoming.

Here's a photo of the girl that won.

DSC_9881.jpg

That is an amazing shot, what camera was it taken with? Even with extensive noise reduction work I have my doubts that ISO 6400 would come out that clean on a D7000.

Thanks. It was with a canon 5d mkiii.

The contestants must all be from Barre.

Most reactions

Back