My dad has a Canon 420EX Speedlite. What can that do that the Vivitar 285VH can't do on my Canon XS? I just want to know the difference between them and their features.
I do not own the 420ex flash, but I found some info of the flash and here is some difference between the 2.
- 285HV cost around $90 new, $5x used, 420EX ( I believe it is out of production, on
ebay price around $100 to $150 used)
- Power wise, guide no., they are about the same.
- 420EX can tilt and swivel vs 285HV can only tilt.
- 420EX E-TTL with your camera vs 285HV can only used as a manual flash.
- 420EX has focus assist beam vs 285HV do not have that feature.
- 420EX can act as a slave flash with 550EX/580EX (or ST-E2,[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
MR-14EX[/FONT]) being the master. For 285HV, you need to trigger it with 3rd party add on such as optical trigger or radio trigger.
- 285HV can adjust the flash power manually vs 420EX cannot.
That's all I can think of now.
Personally, if I going to get a flash, use it off camera and trigger it with radio trigger, I will buy the 285HV since it is cheaper and most important I can adjust the power manually. Plus, I believe the 420EX flash will go to sleep after a short while if not being use and the only way to wake up the flash is power cycle.
If I am planning to use the flash as on-camera flash, although I really like to use manually flash setting, however, since the 285HV flash cannot swivel, so it make flash bouncing a little difficult then the 420EX. Especially if I want to bounce off the side wall or have the camera in portrait orientation.
I have an older 420EZ that do not support the new digital camera via TTL, but I can adjust the power manually and use it with my Canon DSLRs. And I usually use it as my on-camera flash.