Lowepro Geneva cases smudging lenses

El_Pistoffo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a couple of 67mm wet diopter lenses. After looking long and hard for lens cases made for such sized lenses with no luck I decided to try on the advice of a local camera shop using a Lowepro Geneva 10 and Geneva 30 camera pouch to serve as lens pouches for my diopters. Fit wise they work very well. Problem I'm having is that when I pull the lenses out of these pouches they have light smudges on the lens surface requiring me to clean them everytime. These pouches have a soft felt or micro fiber lining inside as many may know. I can't for the life of me figure out why these cases built for photo equipment would leave a residue behind.

Iv'e tried cleaning them with mild soap and warm water as Lowepro recommends to no avail.
Any ideas or solutions?

Can you put a front lens cap on the diopter lenses, to prevent the smudging? Or perhaps thread on some type of spacer ring, like an empty step-ring, or an old broken-out filter, with just the ring, to prevent the glass from touching the fabric inside the case?

Can you put a front lens cap on the diopter lenses, to prevent the smudging? Or perhaps thread on some type of spacer ring, like an empty step-ring, or an old broken-out filter, with just the ring, to prevent the glass from touching the fabric inside the case?

I thought of that too. I don't have a cap or 67mm lens ring. If the pouch were to compress a little bit it would probably still come in contact with the lens surface with the empty ring and still leave smudging. If I need to go that route then I might as well just go with a neoprene pouch. It might be a little larger than I like but at least it wont dirty the lenses.

I just find it disheartening that a bag designed for such equipment can leave a residue at all.

Most reactions

Back