M&M Valentines art with daughter

jedirunner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, this is my 3rd time doing seasonal art work with m&ms with my 10 year old (we did jack-o-lanterns last halloween, and a Christmas tree a couple months ago), and then taking pictures (mostly snapshots actually) afterwords. This time, I tried to bring some meager lighting into it and get more creative with the pictures.

No post-processing on these pictures other than some cropping and/or resizing.

It takes us about 5 or 10 minutes to sort 4 large bags of m&ms, an hour to lay them all out into the design we want, and then whatever time we spend with cameras.

Anyway, first some iPhone pics of the setup...

1. Yes, that's cheap lamps covered with pink tissue paper (these bulbs don't put out enough heat to burn the paper), and then the lamps are on a toaster and on a stool which is then on a chair .... Maybe one day I'll have *real* lighting equipment. :)

2. And a sideways picture of me (sorry, I forgot to rotate it before uploading) trying to get in close on the design.

And some pics from the 7D

1. The full creation on the table (the paper on the side is our basic design sketch of what we wanted to make).

2. Some macro fun with my recent low-end macro lens purchase.

3. Some more macro fun. :)

These are the really fun times with the daughter, the candy, and the camera. What could be better? :)

Kevin

Cute shots... but they are all underexposed, unfortunately. I am sure you both had a lot of fun.. that is what counts! :)

Last edited:
i know this is off topic, but awwww.... you're such a cute dad :) lol Ur daughter is one lucky girl

very cool.. cant wait to see the results! I can see stevie wonder on tv on #1?

I like it. White balance is a tad off. I can't find the EXIF, what was your WB setting?

Liking the Father/Daughter time. Very cool.

Last edited:
Cute shots... but they are all underexposed, unfortunately. I am sure you both had a lot of fun.. that is what counts! :)

Replied to this in the Beginner's forum for C&C...

i know this is off topic, but awwww.... you're such a cute dad :) lol Ur daughter is one lucky girl

It's fun indeed. :)

very cool.. cant wait to see the results! I can see stevie wonder on tv on #1?

Yep! That's Stevie! So the results are here and in the Beginner's forum where I wanted some good honest C&C. Let me know if you have any comments to make these better next go-around.

I like it. White balance is a tad off. I can't find the EXIF, what was your WB setting?

White balance was just camera default. Didn't play with it. It's probably due to covering the lamps in pink tissue paper to get rid a bit of the harsh white glare and make it more "heartsy" for the theme.

Thanks,

Kevin

Cool. I use parchment paper for diffusing lights like that. Looks like a fun project. I like the DIY stuff. It's awesome you and your daughter bond with photography. Congrats on that.

Eric

Most reactions

New Topics

Back