What's new

Mabry Mill

Johnboy2978

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Oct 21, 2004
Messages
1,797
Reaction score
30
Location
Southwest Virginia
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I arrived about 10 days too late apparently as the leaves are quickly falling. One year I'll make it on time! Thoughts appreciated.

IMGP9432_28_29_30_31_web.jpg


IMGP9447_3_4_5_6_web.jpg


and one more with a slight Orton effect.

IMGP9509_10_11_12_13_orton.jpg
 
Last edited:
You might of arrived late but its still very pretty all 3 are my fav would look neat as a group on the wall:)
 
Thanks for taking the time to comment jackiejay. Anyone else have an opinion good, bad or indifferent? I assume all the views w/o comment would fall into the indifferent category. So, any good or bad comments?
 
For me, the first and last have too much relatively uninteresting stuff in the foreground. The middle one has a little too much on the sides, but could be improved by cropping the sides, more on the right, and maybe the top a little to make it almost square. The first and last could be reshot with a longer lens to include just the mill, its reflection and the trees behind it. This might be a good winter shot in a few weeks.
 
I agree. I plan to return when there is some snow on the ground. What about the saturation? Too much? Too little?
 
It strikes me as a little too much, especially on the last one, but saturation is pretty subjective and dependent on exactly what you're trying to do with the image. People perceive colors differently, with a whole spectrum of responses from color blindness (which itself has different varieties) to a very high sensitivity to color. What you do with a particular image depends on who you want to please. If you want it to sell, poll some non-photographers and do what makes them happy, possibly more saturation than a bunch of photographers would want. If you want to hang it on your wall, do whatever makes you happy, etc.
 
I never liked the Orten effect, but that is simply my opinion.

I do like the first two images.
I like the lower exposure of the first image, it really helps bring out the colors, and there is a good group of colors there.
I like the fence in the foreground of the second image.
Seeing both angles of the same location is always interesting, and I like the two you chose.
 
Thanks guys. I know what you mean about the orton effect. It's kind of like selective coloring or something like that. As a rule I generally don't like it either. I applied it to this one at about 30% and didn't automatically hate it.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom