Macro advice

chroix

In Latin it's "spikius conius thingonius"
Reaction score
I've got a D70 and want to do some Macro shots. Anybody got any advice? I'm willing to pay more for good quality but if there is an inexpensive alternative let me know.. I was reading about the reversed lens techniques and that was interesting but I'm not taping or rubber banding anything to my lens on this camera. I'm hoping to shoot objects about the size of a dime as full frame raw. Thanks

Extension tubes are the inexpensive alternative. You can get a set for under $100, and coupled with a 50mm prime, they make an awesome macro lens. That's what I use. If you don't have a 50mm, get that anyway :p It's under $100 too.

Chroix, I forgot to mention that you can do the reverse lens macro thing without tape or rubber bands. You can buy "reversing" rings, which are threaded adapters that screw into your lens and also to the front of the reversed lens.

Vignetting is always a problem with that technique though. Extension tubes give you the full image.

I use the reverse ring, very handy & easy to use w/ no worry about damage. DOF is minute this way tho.

I didn't know about this extension tube on a portait lense, I've only heard of people using them on longer 200 or so lenses. Definetly worth looking into. I love macro. Have fun Chroix, show use what you come out with. The most mundane stuff looks so interesting.

Extension tubes are the way forward if you cant afford a macro lens (or even if you can but you want to go supermacro) - reversing a lens is a lot of fun but the light is going through 2x as much glass so you will get distortion and loss of image quality generally (colour abberration is very special through a load of glass!)

I have used extension tubes ranging from 11mm to 35mm on all of my lenses with no major problems but a macro lens is really the way forward.

Good luck

Spike

Most reactions

Back