Macro and Portrait photography - Nikon D90

cgntoonartist

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I am new to this forum. I glad to be here!

After careful consideration, I decided to get a lens for MACRO work but that is also good for nice PORTRAIT photography. This may be the best way for me to get started with a Nikon D90 and the type of photography I want to do. I am on a budget, so I am hoping that I can accomplish this with about $300 - $400 for the lens. Is that possible?

What are your best suggestions?

Thanks!

Im not sure about Nikon but for the canon the 50mm 1.8 is a great lents for both. Then get a good extension tube with the connetions.

I got these.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Focus-Extension-Digital-Cameras/dp/B002YIY44O]Amazon.com: Opteka Auto Focus DG Macro Extension Tube Set for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo[/ame]

Im not sure about Nikon but for the canon the 50mm 1.8 is a great lents for both. Then get a good extension tube with the connetions.

I got these.

Amazon.com: Opteka Auto Focus DG Macro Extension Tube Set for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo
There is a "Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens" with a very reasonable price.
I have also heard of the "Kenko DG Auto Extension Tube Set".

Do you think that getting a lens that does macro without the tube is better for macro work? ( on that would also be good for portrait work as well off course ).

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Im pretty new to this stuff and dont want to lead you astray, so ill defer to the experts on here. Derrel is a guy you should PM.

The Tamron 90mm f2.8 is actually dubbed the "portrait macro" It does excellent in both areas and has sharpness that any lens from any manufacturer will have a hard time beating. I have the Tamron 180mm f3.5 macro which is supposed to be very similar in quality to the T90 and I get excellent results with macro. It's a little long for portraits, but it does work for that too when I want. T90 would have been in my bag instead but I wanted extra distance since I mostly want to shoot moving critters.

Thanks for the replies!

How about this configuration?:

1. Sigma AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS as an all purpose lens.

2. Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens for Portrait work.

3. Kenko DG Auto Extension Tube Set for the Nikon AF Mount for MACRO work.

Will this be a good set-up for quality photos?

Doesnt nikon have a nice 60mm f2.8 Macro lense which could also be used for portrait>
I am not aware of one. I'll have to do some research on this.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Maybe I should be looking into getting the "Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC HSM Macro Lens" for
macro and portrait work.

Last edited:
I bought my 105mm micro from keh.com used for $450. I'm very happy with it. It isn't the vr version, but I didn't think it was worth the extra $500.

I also have the Sigma 17-70mm and I love it also. It's not a true macro, but it does a pretty good job. If I had to give one of the two up, it would be a very tough decision.

Most reactions

Back