Macro -Bee

Dagwood56

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So here is hoping that these images post better than those in the past -my first attempt at macro using the Sigma f/2.8, 105mm lens. Taken hand held. C&C welcome.

BEEpollen.jpg

beeframe.jpg

Maybe its just me... but the bee doesn't really "pop" or stick out to me, it just sort of blends in too much. I think the focus is great tho. did you do any PP on this image? maybe that would help? over all I do like them both tho.

I agree, although the bee is a different color than the background there doesn't seem to be much for separation. Since I'm fairly new to photography I'm not sure how to correct it. Sorry, but I love how you can see the pollen on him/her, good pic.

Thanks for the comments. The only PP was to crop each one and sharpen just a tad.

Maybe try to play with the curve and the saturation.

Perhaps some good PP (Pre-Processing) would involve superglue - just kidding ;)

I've only just got a macro lens, and I can see that getting good shots of various insects is just going to require patience, and effort.

That said, you appear to have nailed the focus admirably - I love the detail I can see in the wings of the second photo.

Focus looks good in both - and that is always the hard thing with macro photography. I think you have the shots - now to some editing which I think will really help you out.
Personally I would use levels - auto levels should work (or you can use curves if you prefer that) and then I would look to boosting contrast (depending on what levels give you) and then a little boost to saturation possibly after - though play around and work roughly in that order (levels/curves - contrast - saturation) and adjust as needed and see what you can get.
I also rather like the lighting - its nice and soft- though there are some hotspots these are very hard to avoid in macro work (shiny bugs and (often) the use of flash or strong ambient lighting) but reflections are not dominating the shots.

Maybe try to play with the curve and the saturation.

Thanks.

Perhaps some good PP (Pre-Processing) would involve superglue - just kidding ;)

I've only just got a macro lens, and I can see that getting good shots of various insects is just going to require patience, and effort.

That said, you appear to have nailed the focus admirably - I love the detail I can see in the wings of the second photo.

Thank You. This bee was a very willing subject and didn't seem too disturbed by my being there, which was a big help - didn't have to be afraid of him. I was a bit thrown by the bee hanging upside down too , but then I figured, thats what bees do.:lol:

Last edited:
Focus looks good in both - and that is always the hard thing with macro photography. I think you have the shots - now to some editing which I think will really help you out.
Personally I would use levels - auto levels should work (or you can use curves if you prefer that) and then I would look to boosting contrast (depending on what levels give you) and then a little boost to saturation possibly after - though play around and work roughly in that order (levels/curves - contrast - saturation) and adjust as needed and see what you can get.
I also rather like the lighting - its nice and soft- though there are some hotspots these are very hard to avoid in macro work (shiny bugs and (often) the use of flash or strong ambient lighting) but reflections are not dominating the shots.

Thanks. I was very surprised the focus was good, as I took these hand held and it was quite windy yesterday, but the bee and the plant he was on were pretty sheltered. I do think the fact that they were both at the base of a beige garage wall, may have helped with reflective lighting. Since I was smart enough this time to save my original file{;)} I will try your suggestions and see what I can do.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back