Macro for a Pentax MZ-50

crosmill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.woolyhat.com
Hi everyone,

This is my first time on the board and I'm quite new to photography as well, so please be gentle with me!!

I want to buy a Macro for my camera but don't really know what to look for. I've been told the numbers that are important are a 1:1 ratio and a focal length of about 100mm, so enough light can get in.

I'm on a tight budget so any advice or recommendations would greatly welcomed.

Thanks

Most of the cheaper ones (about $200 new) are actually going to be 1:2, and will come with a screw on element that makes it 1:1

This might work for you, but if you are really into macro, try to find a good used model with true 1:1

Another option you might try if you are a little adventurous. You can get an adapter that will let you use old Pentax screw mount lenses on your new Pentax. None of the auto features are going to work with it, but it'll function nicely on full manual. You can probably get a great old screw mount macro lens for under $100.

I'd say give ebay a go at it. They have several 135mm macro lenses for 20-30 dollars. I don't know if they're 1:1 or 1:2 but they're generally pretty fast.

p.s. i just got my 135 mm ebay lens in the other day. and it turn out its macro is only 1:5 so if thats what you're really looking for you might want to be cautious

thanks for the advice, I've been checking it out a bit more and I've manged to get hold of a second hand +3 close up filter for £2.50!!! obviously it's not as good as a macro but it'll do for me for now. And it's definatly the budget way forward.

I'll post some pics when I get my act together

1:1 means the negative is a full scale representation of the object. So if you took a photo of a coin and held the negative (or slide) next to the coin they would be the same size.

Most reactions

Back