MACRO lens dilemma

Marc-Etienne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a wildlife photography enthusiast and I would like to purchase a good macro lens to add to my telephoto lens and telescope (digiscopy). I'm in the middle of a dilemma. I use a Nikon D90 and I'm looking at:

Nikon AF-S VR 105 mm f/2,8G IF-ED
Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM APO Macro
Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro

Pros, cons, personal experiences... Help me solve this dilemma!!

Thanks
Marc-Etienne

Well the image quality of all three that you are looking at is pretty similar, slight variations in sharpness are only really going to show at the extremes of aperture and even then are going to be more down to sample variation than inhernat design differences.
So on the image quality front they are all pretty evening matched.

Thus is comes to three things - focal length, features and price.

The sigma 105 is the weaker on features, having only a regular focusing motor and also extending as it focuses closer. It is a solid macro lens, but compared to the other two its only real advantage is price.

The sigma 150mm macro is a cut above the 105; having the HSM focusing which is all the time manual as well as being far quieter; it also has internal focusing which means it never extends or contracts, all movements occur inside. The lens will also attach to sigma brand teleconverters (I've no idea if it will fit nikon brand ones).
It also sports the longest focal length of the three and thus has a greater distance between camera body and the subject when at 1:1 (closest focusing point) which is an advantage with macro work and insects. The lens is also popular with many nature photographers who like the slightly longer 150mm reach for regular shooting as well.

The model you state is also the new (as yet not released but expected soon) edition with OS - commanding a higher price point than the original (expected) but with the added bonus of a 4 stop image stabalizing function. How this performs in pratice is unknown because the lens is not yet out on the market.

The nikon 105mm VR is a very solid choice and on nikon a very popular lens - specifically for its VR which helps to counter handshake and whilst its effect at macro ranges is reduced it still has an advantage over regular macro lenses

Ok that all reads like the 150mm is the best, but its mostly because it is superior to the sigma 105mm in features whilst the nikon I don't shoot so know less about its specific features. Suffice to say all three will perform well and when it comes to macro all three will give you the exact same image when focused to their minimum focusing distances - the difference being that the 150mm will be further back from the subject than the other two.
Also the 150mm you list is not yet on the market and I've not yet heard of a definite date of release (closest I've read is "fall 2010")

I would say if youre going to be shooting bugs and such, go with the 150mm. The 105mm Sigma expands, and this can scare, well, all of the little critters. Also, dont dare try to AF with the lens on a skittish critters. The noise is so loud, youd be lucky to find anything alive within 5 feet of you. I have had great success with the lens, but I have a feeling it would have been much easier and much more enjoyable if I would have sprang for the 150mm. The HSM and non-extending barrel are god-sends in the macro field.

Mark

Thanks for those answer. The Sigma 150 is really tempting. However, I have one main worry. I tend to backpack with my camera and walk serious hike with my gear, so the tripod is not always handy (I have my monopod most of the time).

So my question would be is it really doable to get a sharp picture with an handheld sigma 150?

Thanks

In short Yes

Longer answer - with correct posture, shooting technique, shutter speed and focusing you can take a sharp handheld shot with the 150mm. Using flash as a part of your setup will also help since flash helps to freeze motion, especailly if the flash light itself is the major light source for the shot instead of the ambient light (ie that means with the same settings without the flash you would get a black shot - ie the ambient light is not enough).
You might find it more tricky after a long hike so a monopod and taking off your backpack at points might help a lot with a steady shot; though it depends on yourself; how far you've walked and your backpack. A good monopod can also double as a walking stick as well. That said a good macro monopod tends to be expensive because you need a strong pod (for the hiking) which folds down as short as possible to let you get as low as possible.

The Nikon D90 has Exposure Delay Mode and a self-timer (like most cameras). You may find these features useful. Mirror slap and camera shake can be a *****, depending on the shutter speed.

I often use my backpack as a beanbag. Or whatever nature provides.

Also, if you could invest in a flash of somekind..the Nikon R1 gig is fantastic for this..or if you have a flashgun and a softbox, that would easily work as well.

Mark

Thanks everyone. That really helps me. I consider myself as a serious beginner, so I still have to learn about more advanced techniques and equipment. But these answer will definitively help me make a decision and enjoy small critters!

I just sold my Sigma 105mm yesterday, hopefully picking up a Sigma 150mm (Bugma) tonight. If not, I'll be picking up a Sigma 180mm tomorrow. I think the 105mm is just fine for almost everything, as I shot everything from Dragonflies to Black Widows with it with and without tubes.

If I were you though, I'd pass the 105mm up if you are going to use it solely for macro. I only use my 105mm for macro, so, I didn't have any problems letting it go to upgrade to the 150mm.

You can save a lot of $$ if you opt for an old AIS macro lens, something like the 105mm f4 ais micro nikkor.

The downside is that you won't have autofocus, VR, or light metering (on a d90). However, these may not be of that much importance when doing macro work.

Most reactions

Back