What's new

macro lens vs extension ring?

Joined
Aug 15, 2011
Messages
107
Reaction score
2
Location
Australia
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi, I want to get in to macrophotography, is the more expensive dedicated macro lens such Nikon 200mm/105mm really worth it when compared to the extension ring? Are the result significantly different? Because personally I can not tell the difference.

Thanks.
 
I'm pleased with the results from my Kenko macro tubes for Nikon.
 
It depends on your budget. 3rd party lens manufacturers also make decent macro lens at a lower cost. I have seen a used 90mm Tamron macro lens (older generation) for sale around $200-$250. In general, a used Sigma, Tamron around 100mm focal length cost around $300 plus or minus.

I do not mean extension tube are bad. They are good for what it intend for. However, I do not think they are as good as a dedicated macro lens in terms of image quality. But it is generally cost less than a dedicated macro lens.

You may also take a look at a 100mm f/3.5 macro lens that made by Cosina. (You can find the same lens under different brands such as Vivitar, Promaster, Phoenix. I believe I just saw one under Tokina as well on ebay). The lens cost a little over $100, but you need to make sure the lens shipped with the 1:1 adapter. (without the adapter, it can only do 1:2) From what I read, this lens is quite good optically, especially for the price. But build quality is not that good.

This is the Flickr group of that lens (Flickr: Cosina 100mm f/3.5 Macro). You should be able to see some examples there.
 
If you are just getting started, extension tubes are a great, cheap way to get into macro photography. It will teach you many things about DOF and lighting that you probably aren't aware of when your working distance is so short. The other plus is that when you do finally decide to get a dedicated macro lens, you can use the extension tubes on it to get closer than 1:1. The benefit of a dedicated macro lens is that it will also focus out to infinity.
 
Extension tubes are cheaper... as mentioned. When used with a 35mm or 50mm prime they can produce some wonderful results. Trying to use tubes with anything over 100mm is usually not recommended.

The main disadvantage to tubes.. are light loss, and an even narrower DOF than normal, so extremely careful focusing is needed (but that is normal, right.. we all focus extremely carefully, 100% of the time! lol!). AF is pretty much out.. it will work, but not as precisely as manual focus.
 
do nikon make their own extension tube or their's only 3rd party manufactures?
 
do nikon make their own extension tube or their's only 3rd party manufactures?

Yuu are better off with the Kenkos.. they allow full metering, AF, and all other lens functions (same electrical contacts that the lenses have.. to communicate with the body). I have a Nikon PK-13 Extension Tube... no contacts at all... I will see it cheap though, if you want it! :)
 
I have a Nikon PK-13 Extension Tube... no contacts at all... I will see it cheap though, if you want it! :)

How much? I'm half assed looking for a little extension to pair with my 100mm Macro to get a little closer than 1:1.
 
are kenko extension tube made in Japan? Are there any fakes on the market that I need to be aware of?

Do you think this one is genuine and will work on my camera body?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280699641198#ht_2289wt_1158

Sorry for all the questions but I am just paranoid when I buy someone over the internet, and my local camera shop wants $350AUD for the kenko extension set..

And also on the largest tube, if it says FOR N/AF it means it's for nikon? C/AF is for Canon I suppose?
 
I have a Nikon PK-13 Extension Tube... no contacts at all... I will see it cheap though, if you want it! :)

How much? I'm half assed looking for a little extension to pair with my 100mm Macro to get a little closer than 1:1.

I will do $35 shipped on it if you really want it.... It works well on lenses that have an external aperture ring.. can't use it on G series Nikons for instance. I have used it with my Tokina 100, which I believe you have also?
 
Yeah. Tubes are great. I've used them on quite a few lenses. Sigma 150 & 105, Tamron 90mm, Nikon 35 1.8G and Nikon 50 1.4G, Nikon 70-300VR .. to name a few. The older the tubes, the heavier the lens, the more flex you'll get. Which means you'll lose contact and the camera will think it hasn't got a lens on it.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom