Macro of Crystals

Mithlondor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
493071706_c41d15be0c.jpg

This is a shot of 9-bromo-10-methylphenanthrene. The crystals were grown overnight (fast) so theyre a bit irregular. The shot itself was taken with a 50mm macro lense with the crystals mounted on a melting point apparatus, side lit with a magnifying glass locked in place over the crystals. The big problem im running into with this type of photography is one of sharpness/focus. Focusing through basically 2 lenses (the macro on the camera and the magnifying glass) from a distance of 2 inches (if that) is so incredibly touchy. Are there any tips on how to improve the setup or the focusing technique? I would really like to take more pictures like this and I dont necessarily want to get into buying a microscope setup with a camera mount (especially since theres no way I could write a microscope into my research grants).

I think this question is better put in "Beyond the Basics", because that is where you want to step with your kind of macro photography (which I find fascinating, by the way).
Sorry, I cannot give you an answer to your question, though.

Well, I appreciate the pointer :) Sorry for posting it in the wrong place!

As you mentioned it's touchy and from the looks of things a touch out of focus. I'd be inclined to attempt to mount both camera and magnifying glass on some kind of support to allow very fine adjustments to focusing.

It wouldn't have to be too robust. Just enough to support it's own weight, so a structure of cardboard or wood work work.

I agree with what Garbz said, it would be best if all (camera nad magnifying glass) where mounted onto something solid.. best something which allows easy and fine-tunable shifting.

Mythlondor, I don't know if this will work as I only have one set of extension tubes, but here is something you might persue. First how about 2 sets of extension tubes? One works pretty well maybe 2 is better?

Also, there are rings to screw one lens backwards onto front of another for macro shots as well, how about a set of extension tubes and the backwards lens too? Or all three?

Anyway, 2 sets of extension tubes and the ring- for Nikon at least- is around $40 shipped for all of it, which is a lot less than a good microscope setup.

Just a thought

mike

Yeah extension tubes might help. The problem is that the camera has to be directly above the subject, and with a 50 mm macro lense, you have to get REALLY REALLY close for 1:1. That makes tripod use very difficult.

I've got a 70-210 push-pull zoom that I use the tubes with and just zoom for focus. I do have to be close but the zoom gives some lea-way.

Besides, you'd have pretty close with a microscope too. ;)

mike

I'd be inclined to attempt to mount both camera and magnifying glass on some kind of support to allow very fine adjustments to focusing.

Depending on the size and bulk of the melting point apparatus, it might be easier to move it instead of the camera + lens + mag glass. Just a point to consider. Also, the same precaution as working with a microscope: don't run the lens into the objective! ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back