Macro practice with 100mm

tjones8611

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Borrowed a friends 100mm today to play around with, amazing lens! I have the nifty already and after using this one, I can see an addiction coming with primes. Any way, here are few from this afternoon with the 100mm and rings.

4228962743_11f0b8071a_b.jpg

4228962631_6723b24038_b.jpg

4229730566_95f2675f43_b.jpg

4228963149_775e517bbf_b.jpg

4229731096_e6eab6120b_b.jpg

4229731296_4b2c3fde1c_b.jpg

Pretty cool stuff! Macro is always fun. What are the last two shots?

I'm 95% sure the second last one is matches, but I'm stumped on the last one.

I think the second to last is a book of matches... no idea on the last one.

I love macro :D

im gunna say its a reeses peanut butter cup

Book of matches is correct. after wondering what to shoot next for about 10 minutes, I bit into a mini reeses peanut butter cup. I tried to get the ridges of the outerdge while keeping the filling some what in foucs, not easy to do with three rings.

In the macro ranges, the lower range of aperture would start around f/8 to ~f/16 because of the extremely shallow depth of field. This means you need more light or longer shutter speeds. Slower shutter speeds usually lends itself to using a tripod and hoping the bugs doesn't move or the wind stops blowing. More light usually means adding it by reflecting it on your subject or using flash.

On an aside, your WB seems off on some of them.

so in order to use a macro at its best you want to lower your aperture and slow your shutter speed?

so in order to use a macro at its best you want to lower your aperture and slow your shutter speed?
No, what I'm saying is that you have to get the correct exposure. You know that you're shooting at say f/11, then you have to adjust the shutter speed, ISO or add/control enough light to achieve the necessary exposure and vision.

yes, but only for still shots of course. I used two flashlights on these along with the ambient light. With the mixed lights, I couldnt get the WB reasonable. I probably should have just turned off the room lights now that I think of it.

I'm just trying to figure so much put at once. I just moved to Hartford and would like to ind a photo buddy that knows a bit so I can soak it up but unroll then I just have to ask question and learn from what you guys say and everyone has been gracious in answering all my questions. I feel like imight be going fast but to interested to slow down

I tried again on the pistachios. Still havn trouble with the WB, but used a tripod to help with the aperture.

4229222813_b98f43c6ae_o.jpg

whats a good macro lens fr a nikon d70 thats not mad expensive but its good quality?

Number 3 looks like a baby bird. Love it.

Most reactions

Back