Macro - Wine Taster

lee_alkureishi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

After too long a break, I picked up my camera again tonight and had a play around with my macro lens. I came to realise 2 things:

1. I know nothing about macro photography
2. I have no idea how my flash works....

Anyhow, after a lot of experimenting, I came up with 3 pictures I like. They're not technically perfect though, so if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. Specifically:

1. How do I avoid the "big bulb" appearance on reflective subjects? e.g. the reflection of the tungsten lamp in the glass thingy.

2. I'm shooting on a black velvet surface/background. No matter what I do, the surface comes out with incredible detail (including the weave of the fabric and all the tiny dust specks!). What's the best way to avoid this effect? As it stands, I've been ramping up the blacks in pp to mask it.

Thanks in advance,

Leeko

Shooting info:
All pics: D70, Tamron 90mm f/2.8, Calumet tripod, Pistol grip head, No-name macro rail (wobbly!), 2 tungsten desk lamps and 1 SB600 flash.
Pic 1: f/8, 1/60sec, +0.5 exposure (aperture priority)
Pic 2: f/16, 1/20sec, -0.5 exposure (aperture priority)
Pic 3: f/11, 1/60sec, +1 exposure (aperture priority)

All 3 pics exif states "no flash". Not sure if this is actually the case, though.

Img0049.jpg

Img0066.jpg

Img0089.jpg

p.s. the subject of the photos is a one-dose wine decanter "Centellino", given to us by the owner of the villa we recently got married in (Hence the card in the picture). I was thinking I might surprise the wife with the photo :)

i like the colors in the 2nd photo but i find the pictures dull

The first one is best out of these but I think you should carry on shooting and make sure you get all of the writing in. A text title might work letting visiters to your house know what it is and where it's from, I dunno.

Try lightening it up, being so dark and having those shadows ages it and not in a good way. It might make a better gift if it was lighter.

You want the highlights on the glass, that's the only thing that gives it shape. You can change the shape by using a diffuser or moving the light source or changing the light source. Maybe try using a window?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back