Macro with a D3100

First watch that video - it will explain why 1/200 or 1/250sec are your fastest possible shutter speeds and why; for a sharp shot, you won't need faster in a flash dominated scene. Now insect photography CAN get more complicated because you can end up doing high speed photography which is trying to capture things such as wings moving - for that to be crisp and sharp you hvae to start moving toward a more flash dominated scene and removing all natural light - often this requires shutter speeds that your camera shutter can't do (you need an external one).

Last edited by a moderator:
What speed stops motion. I know that can be an in the air question depending on how faster something is moving, but lets just say hand shake with no VR.

I watched the video, it was interesting, but still doesn't answer my questions. Either that or my mind refuses to record this information lol

What speed stops motion. I know that can be an in the air question depending on how faster something is moving, but lets just say hand shake with no VR.

Typical minimum shutter speed to avoid handshake without extreme circumstances is 1/focal length of the lens in shutter speed to get a good shot- that is assuming a 35mm sensor/film and good posture. It also breaks a bit at the extremes - BIG lenses like 600mm f5.6 lenses can require faster shutter speeds (or at much stronger physique) whilst shorter focal lengths like 18mm can sometimes get away with even slower speeds.

Note also that you can lean on a firm surface or crouch to let you shoot slower whilst getting a sharp shot.

As for action - that is really dependant and does depend a LOT on the speed of the subject. For wildlife 1/500sec or faster is a good guideline - but if you want something like a perfectly crisp wingbeat of a hummingbird chances are you'll have to use flash to freeze the motion.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back