Macros: Canon 60 f2.8 or Tamron 60 f2.0

pugnacious33

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
soundinsights.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've decided to get a macro lens that will double as a portrait lens, though I don't take many portraits. These two fit the bill, though I was previously considering a 100. The canon is 200 bucks cheaper and the only noticable difference is the f-stop. I'm not sure if that justifies the price difference. Does anyone have these lens, if so, i'd love to hear your thoughts. I have held the canon and it is a very light lens, but the reviews say it is sharp. Thanks for the help!

In a word - Tamron!
It has:
Internal focusing - so the lens does not extend as you focus - a great thing when working with anything insecty
Wider max aperture - ok not a day and night difference, but a little bit more light when focusing in macro is always very good to have
Longer working distance - the tamron 60mm has the working distance of a 100mm lens, this is a great bonus for working with insects

Sharpness wise I doubt you would be able to tell the lenses apart, all macro lenses are pin sharp when working in the macro world and whilst controled studio tests might show some differences chances are they are very minor and in the field your shooting practice and light will have far more impact on your work.

*edit * both are also crop sensor lenses only - so they will not work on a 5D or 5DM2 or any other full frame canon body. That is not a problem if your going to stick to crop sensor bodies like the 400D, 40D and 7D - but if you are going to upgrade oneday you might consider the sigma 70mm macro - which is fullframe compatable. It is featured much like the canon 60mm macro and lacks iinternal focusing and the longer working distance of the tamron

I would think twice about getting a 60mm as your first macro lens if you are into shooting living things (insects, animals, whatever). I find that even my 100mm f/2.8 macro is often on the short side. The 100, however, still makes a pretty good portrait lens and general purpose short telephoto, so I didn't go longer to the 150 range.

I would consider the Canon 100mm f/2.8 (works also on a FF camera), the Tamron 90mm, or the Sigma 105.

Most reactions

Back