What's new

Macy's Fireworks

Very well executed! 10 sec exposure @ f/4 and ISO 6400? Just trying to see how good my guessing skills are lol
 
I'm guessing more like F/8 or F/11, and 15 or 20 seconds, iso 100/200.
 
Destin said:
I'm guessing more like F/8 or F/11, and 15 or 20 seconds, iso 100/200.

That would be the proper way to shoot it, but I could see grain on the small screen of my iPhone so I figured the opposite high ISO route.
 
Destin said:
I'm guessing more like F/8 or F/11, and 15 or 20 seconds, iso 100/200.

That would be the proper way to shoot it, but I could see grain on the small screen of my iPhone so I figured the opposite high ISO route.

I don't see much grain on my 21 inch monitor at first glance. I see some now, but I'm thinking it's SLIGHT long exposure noise. The DOF is too great for it to have been shot at a wide aperture, and if he shot at a small one, then I'm assuming he had a low iso and a tripod.
 
Wouldn't the DOF be clear at any aperture due to the distance being infinity?
 
Wouldn't the DOF be clear at any aperture due to the distance being infinity?

Clear? yes. Both the fireworks AND the city in focus? Questionable. Thats a HUG depth of field man. You've gotta be talking at least a quarter mile, maybe more..
 
Good question. To get DOF, we use wide aperature. I would like to use AV for example f11. What about focus? Shall I manually change it to infinity or let AF do the job?
 
Destin, I am new to DSLR. What makes you think that the Aperture is too wide for this pic. IF I use AV and shot at wide aperture like f16, what would happen?
 
RichardsTPF said:
IF I use AV and shot at wide aperture like f16, what would happen?

f/16 is the opposite of a wide aperture.

When you hear the expression "shooting wide open", it means shooting at the widest (lowest number) aperture the lens can go. Common misconception among new shooters.
 
Thanks for the comments. This was a 7 second exposure, F/10, ISO 100, Manual Focus on the city. I raised the exposure on the city a little bit in post.

Danny
 
Haha,my guess on the exposure is way too long. I am wondering what would come out if I use 30sec. I will try it.
 
Beautiful shot. White balance looks fine to me...
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom