Make money from your images

mavrik said:
Has anyone gotten into the RF stock market yet?

I just made my $30.00 from Istock (with only 38 images online) and am starting up on some other sites. Just curious if everyone's into it yet. On the other sites I visit, everyone's already putting their images up. Thought I would at least put the link out there for those who want to.

http://submit.shutterstock.com/?ref=137

That's shutterstock.

http://www.istockphoto.com

And that's Istock.

I do about as much traffic on Shutterstock as I do on Istock so I assume as I build my library I'll make some more.

Join the fun! :) Get paid for images on your harddrive. And let the war of "is this worth it" begin! :D

Matt

Whoa, I just visited Istock.. "Royalty free" Thats crazy man! :)

My personal idea is that those royalty free stock shops are the devils tool!
Of course I also realize how difficult it is to get into the world of big money stock photography, and something is better than nothing..I guess.

Well yes, Corbis wants only pro level cams, 200+ images ready to be looked at just to get in and a steady stream of images thereafter. Shutterstock will take a 3MP cam, upload 10 pictures a year if you want, and make a few bucks to fund your hobby. :)

I've never used one of those royalty free stock shops. I have a few questions... To fund ones hobby would be nice. However if one uploads to one of these places "istock etc" can one still use the same images on other stock agencies and also sell them one your own site? Or are these individual agency policies?

thanks for the input!

With Istock, Dreamstime and Shutterstock, you can use the same images on all of them. Same with bigstockphoto and canstockphoto (ones I don't use). Corbis and the big boys want exclusivity. So I can make triple $ off the same image. :)

Hmmm...this sounds interesting. So has anyone else made any money from this? I'd rather keep my favorites off of these sites; but I have TONS of other pictures I could care less about that have "some" artistic value. Thanks for the posts everyone!

only .20 per download? Think of it this way... your picture could show up in at least 500 different publications and you only get $100 for it. I say at least, because once they download it, they can keep using it. Plus (at least with Shutterstock) you have to get 500 downloads before you get paid. If your pictures only get 400 downloads, you get nothing. So lets say you upload a bunch of pictures, a year later you have a bunch of new really great pictures. Now you are qualified to join up with Corbis. You pretty much have shot yourself in the foot with all the images that have been floating around for dirt cheap. JMO. I am holding out untill I am excepted by Corbis.

Doug
http://www.wxnut.net

wxnut, I know its dirt low price. I have never thought of istock as a money minting machine to fund my next DSLR (eventhough there are istockers who fund their photography with istock money). The money I have made so far is a whopping 4.60USD :p . For a beginner, it is a lil exciting to see someone actually "buying" your photos even if it is for pennies. I took up photography just few months ago.

If someone is dead serious about stock photography, they should look in to names like getty, Corbis, IPNStock.com, Comstock etc.

As for funding your passion, lise gagne at Istock has made over $20,000 USD on uploading her stock photos. She has just over 1000 online and has $20,000. That's 20,000 I wish I had!

Wow that's some nice $$$$$$....So I don't know much about this whole stock photo businesss. You put your images up online, and then people are able to purchase them, and then they can do whatever they want with them???? Is this correct. Could someone possibly explain in more detail for slow folks like myself :D

They aren't able to do anything they want with them - but they can use them for whatever purpose each site allows. You'd have to look at the downloader user agreements at each site to figure that out. :)

M

Most reactions

Back