Making a living off Photography

SabrinaO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm new to the serious/professional aspects of photography and im just wondering if you all "got rich" or make your living solely on being a photographer? Right now im working a job that pays really well and I never live paycheck to paycheck, but I want to eventually just do photography and im wondering if its a strong enough field to help support the fam. I mean you all began somewhere right? I mean photography is an EXPENSIVE hobby and I won't just go out and by that $2,000 lens, or a nice $1,200 body. You were all like me at one point right? Basically what I want to hear is that once I get the ball rolling...money will start pouring in.

I started as a hobby, and I intend to do occasional shoots for people for a decent price not to try to "get rich", but to help support my hobby.

I make enough money in my current profession that I am not trying to start something else to make it big.

The average self-employed photographer in the US makes about $30,000 a year, on gross revenues of about $150,00 a year ($12,500 a month).

Only the top 10% of photographers make over $50,000, and those photographers usually have their business in major photography markets, like NYC, L.A., Chicago, etc.

Look here: http://www.ehow.com/about_4699761_yearly-income-photographer.html#ixzz16obhcWy2

1200 for a nice body? I wanna spend 2700 on my next one! LOL

What do you want to make and how much work are you willing to do?

Great post Keith.

well.. according to my accounting spreadsheet, I have spent over $5000 on gears and software and have only made just under $2000. So.. mmm yeah. Pretty hard to start it up IMO but I'm really looking forward to 2011!

Here in the UK it is very hard to make a living out of photography. i have a friend who produces professional landscapes but he doesnt make a living from it, even tho the works are masterpieces. there are some photographers who make more money holding lectures and seminars than taking photos, they also run field courses

I'm picking up a $700 check for my first real shoot, but don't expect more than $50 to $200 per portrait shoot in general in my area, and based on the type of referrals I can hopefully expect.

But my goal is to do as much return travel as possible to specific areas so I can arrange photo 'tours' and workshops. Not that I have to be the best seasoned pro, but figure I'd pay (depending on destination) $49 for local up to couple hundred for a toured trip that would take me to exact spots to get great photos. So I figure others with limited time would be interested in this type of service also.

No different than a fishing or hunting guide. You have to be good and know what you're doing, but a large part of it is getting people to places where subjects are available. Overnight and two to three night getaways. The more you go, the better you know the territory and can find the 'sweet spots.'

My focus is the lower midwest and southeast - i'll keep you posted on my success lol!

It's part time for me. It kind of came hand in hand with writing about motorsports. It has evolved over the last 5 or 6 years to the point where I may try to have my photography stand on it's own.

All the equipment I've had or gotten in the last 6 years was paid for by my work with magazines and About.com (the New York Times Co.)

I've been thinking lately; if I can get my photography to sell as well as my writing I could quit my day job and just do writing and photography, mostly part time. :)

Only a fraction of a percentage of photographers actually "get rich". Same as with major league athletes, real estate agents or writers. The vast majority are doing it as a hobby, in the minor leagues or making an average living.

You have to be out-of-this-world good and/or have the right connections to be one of the lucky "rich ones".

Here in the UK it is very hard to make a living out of photography. i have a friend who produces professional landscapes but he doesnt make a living from it, even tho the works are masterpieces. there are some photographers who make more money holding lectures and seminars than taking photos, they also run field courses
I'm given to understand that pretty well all nature photographers earn their income this way.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back