Male Ruby Throat

Dean_Gretsch

Papa
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Having returned from our grandson's 3rd birthday visit, my wife and I have been mandated to quarantine as a precaution since it was in Florida. Stay at home an additional 2 weeks and get paid to do so?!? It's hard, but a necessity, I suppose:1247: One of the things we have been enjoying is the sights around our hummingbird feeders. We have several feeders, but one male just seems to try and claim all. He will allow one female to drink, but any other promptly gets chased away. He spends most of his energy chasing and intimidating. This is a moment of watching and waiting on the next chase:

Male Ruby.jpg

Fin looking bird. The colours look a little muted. That's maybe just how the light was tho.

Fin looking bird. The colours look a little muted. That's maybe just how the light was tho.

Thank you. I appreciate your honesty. I suspect the muted colors are a combination of my settings and the light. I've yet to get a photo of a male that I am completely happy with, but since I love their vibrancy, I will continue trying!

Nice shot. It looks like a lot of my pics where they were taken with the subject in the shade and a bright bg. Not the most desirable condition to work with. Sometimes, depending on the colors in the back ground and how well they're blurred you can get a pretty wild and bright bg that looks pretty cool. That's been sort of a rarity to happen for me.

Nice shot! I love the antics of the hummingbirds. I seem to only get photos of the females. The males are too busy driving each other away.

Good shot.

Sometimes when I have an image with lighting like this I will bring down the blacks (just a bit) and bring up the clarity slider. It can remove some of the washed out look and aid in making the bird come out of the background.

Last edited:
Thanks. I actually had to use the adjustments brush if I remember correctly on this one just to get any color. It was shot at 1/3200, f9, 640 ISO. I was anticipating bif and out in the sunlight, so not the perfect settings for this one. I appreciate your help!

Most reactions

Back