Mamiya 80mm 1.9 or 2.8 Lens for M645 1000S?

DonaldC1961

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all,

If you use, or have used the Mamiya M645 1000S with an 80mm lens, which 80mm lens did you use, prefer and can confidently recommend? The following are available for purchase:
80mm f1.9 N, filter size 67mm
80mm f2.8 C, metal, filter size 58mm
80mm f2.8 N, plastic, filter size 58mm

I have a 70mm f2.8 C L, which I may sell with my Mamiya 645j body, so I like a standard lens. I also own the following lenses:
45mm f2.8 C
150mm f4 N
210mm f4

I like to shoot portraits, landscapes, still life, candid portraits, and whatever else that strikes my fancy.

I look forward to your input.
Don

Last edited:
Years ago I shot using the Mamiya 6x4.5 system. I had the 80 f 1.9. That’s the fastest 6x4.5 lens at that time. Very good and versatile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I used the 2.8 N version and was very happy with it. At the time, I considered the 1.9 for subject separation / isolation but the 2.8n was good enough for me. I sold the system and chose to focus on 135. I still have a fuji 645zi and a Bronica S2A/75mm that I occasionally use. I use the 645zi for casual / travel and the Bronica for creative fun.

I don't know anything about these lenses but to me, if optically they are similar and cost is not a limitation, the 1.9 can shoot at 2.8 but the opposite is not possible.

been a long time since I had my Mamiya 645 1000S. loved that camera.
as far as 80mm lenses go I had the 80mm f4 macro + the extension tube for it.
it was a great lens and I never felt like I needed a larger aperture.
of the other 80mm lenses, as noted above, you can always stop down a lens but you cant add aperture.
that being said, multicoated lenses are really nice to keep flare and aberrations down, especially if your shooting outdoors.

been a long time since I had my Mamiya 645 1000S. loved that camera.
as far as 80mm lenses go I had the 80mm f4 macro + the extension tube for it.
it was a great lens and I never felt like I needed a larger aperture.
of the other 80mm lenses, as noted above, you can always stop down a lens but you cant add aperture.
that being said, multicoated lenses are really nice to keep flare and aberrations down, especially if your shooting outdoors.

I thought about the 80mm f4 macro also. The vast majority of my shooting will be outdoors with this camera, so the multi coated lens does score big in that regard and I always use a lens hood. I think I will give the 80mm f4 a bit more thought.

I don't know anything about these lenses but to me, if optically they are similar and cost is not a limitation, the 1.9 can shoot at 2.8 but the opposite is not possible.

Optically, the 80mm 1.9 is larger in all respects than the 2.8, with a 67mm filter thread. The 80mm 2.8, has a 58mm filter thread. As for optical quality, I haven't found a head to head comparison, so I am still looking. If one were to purchase the 80mm 1.9, the price is approximately $200.00 more than the 2.8 of similar quality. I have no problem spending the money for it, my wife, however...

I used the 2.8 N version and was very happy with it. At the time, I considered the 1.9 for subject separation / isolation but the 2.8n was good enough for me. I sold the system and chose to focus on 135. I still have a fuji 645zi and a Bronica S2A/75mm that I occasionally use. I use the 645zi for casual / travel and the Bronica for creative fun.

I appreciate you telling me that, regarding the 80mm 2.8 N. How was the quality of build in your hands? I know it has a plastic body, which I am not opposed to, so long as it felt right and yielded sharp results.

I appreciate you telling me that, regarding the 80mm 2.8 N. How was the quality of build in your hands? I know it has a plastic body, which I am not opposed to, so long as it felt right and yielded sharp results.

It felt good, and was sharp.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back