Mamiya RB67 Film Winding Issue

I'm keeping the cords. :er: :lol:

You'll have no use for them with the RB67... :lmao:

Unless you just want an extra USB cord for your webcam or something...

Are there any digital backs that would fit? I might need cords for that. :D

Actually, I do believe reading that the RB67 doesn't have the ability to support digital backs, being that there are no electronics in the camera. Might wanna double check on that. Picking up mine in an hour, super-stoked!

Oh yes there are digital backs for the RBs, they just cost as much as a nice car.

but with such a nice camera, why spoil it?

I was once thiinking about adapting a scanner over the back of a LF camera before digital hit the market and maybe even making an adaptor for my RB. Think it can be done?

Actually, I do believe reading that the RB67 doesn't have the ability to support digital backs, being that there are no electronics in the camera. Might wanna double check on that. Picking up mine in an hour, super-stoked!
No reason it shouldn't work....you're just swapping out the film back for a digital back.

Oh yes there are digital backs for the RBs, they just cost as much as a nice car.
That's what I thought.

I was once thiinking about adapting a scanner over the back of a LF camera before digital hit the market and maybe even making an adaptor for my RB. Think it can be done?
I've read about a few scanners turned into cameras. If I'm not mistaken, that was actually how the digital camera was invented...so to speak.

A friend of mine did scans of flowers on his scanner back in the day when scanners just started coming on the streets. He built a 4 sided rim about 2" high that sat on the glass bed. The flower sat on the glass then he covered the scanner with black material that served as the background for the flower. They were amazingly sharp and came out really beautiful in the prints. That is what gave me the diea to just place the scanner over the back of a View camera but never got around to try it.

Now these days with lap top PCs, hooking a USB powered scanner in the field would be no problem for landscapes n satic situations.

The question I have is do you think it will need a plane to focus on like a ground glass, or will the scanner be able to scan the projected image directly without anything before it? (of course the image was pre focused to the same plane as the scanner bed as if it were film)

I'm unearthing my old RB67 with backs and lenses and thinking of getting back into film.... I cannot remember the relationship between the pin on the back of the body (upper right corner as you look at it) and the ME lever/slide-that-covers-a hole in the film back. I am assuming that when the ME slide covers the hole in the film back, it prevents another exposure if the film has not been wound. However, winding the film does not move this cover (or does it?) I also know that if there is a little red band to the right of the exposure number viewed from the top of the back indicating that that frame has been exposed and winding the film should make the little red thing go away. My problems are that I can make an exposure, wind the film, and cannot make another without taking off the back and slamming it on my palm to get the red thing to go away...or to have the slide return to cover the hole. I tried duct-taping the ME slide shut but that didn't stop the film-back-slamming routine.

The question I have is do you think it will need a plane to focus on like a ground glass, or will the scanner be able to scan the projected image directly without anything before it? (of course the image was pre focused to the same plane as the scanner bed as if it were film)

Yes, it will still need something to project the image onto - clear glass will not work for this. You could abrade the scanner glass, making it the ground glass (also making it worthless for anything else), but there has to be *something* there for the scanner to focus on. I mean, that's the whole reason the ground glass is ground in the first place. If it wasn't ground, there would be nothing to project the image onto.

OK, me again. I took some time to try to sort things out with the pins and the ME lever and slide and stuff......So, it appears that the film will not be exposed (all other things being equal) if that pin cannot protrude all the way into the film back. Meaning that for the whole thing to be ready for a shot, that ME slide must not be in the way of the pin. So, without regard to the ME stuff, I have to assume that when I make an exposure, the ME "slide" is exposing the hole, and that once the exposure is complete, some mechanical device puts that ME slide back over the hole again (to prevent "ME"). Thus, if I make an exposure, do not advance the film, cock the shutter, and try to expose the film, I cannot because that pin cannot get into the back. OK. Got that. Think the logic is correct. So, assuming all parts are working properly and "dark slide maneuvers" are correct, if I make an exposure, the red flag will appear..and, now, has the ME slide moved to cover the hole? It must do that so that I don't expose that frame again. When I exposed the frame, the red flag appeared Can I then assume that when I wind the film to the next exposure, not only will the red flag be gone but the hole will be uncovered again (so that I can expose the film......?) It may be that I have major issues with simply the mechanics of the film backs regarding exposure, red flag, ME slide, etc. Is the thought process flawed? I appreciate that this is about mechanics but I need to get those under control first......

Mamiya RB67 PRO-S instruction manual, user manual, free PDF manual, free manuals camera guide

Sounds as though a brush up is in order. ;)

I had this problem a long time ago but forget what cleared it up. Not very helpful I know but at least there is an easy solution.

The pin if I recall correctly is to make sure that the dark slide is in place before you can take another exposure and it may be that the pin is what is getting stuck and simply replacing the back is what is clearing it for you.

Try the archives here, I'm pretty sure that this has been posted about.

SHEIT! I forgot to tell you to take the dark slide out! jsut testing to see if you were still awake.

good catch!

Hahaha, you are correct mike. The camera wouldn't have fired if you had followed PaulRon's instructions to the t. I am actually purchasing one of these beasts today after work. I'm so excited to get back to film, especially with such glorious viewing space on that giant ground glass screen. I just really need my store to get more of the optech straps in so I can actually carry the tank around. I misloaded one roll on this camera already before downloading a manual, and now I have spent a whole lot of time reading and rereading the manual, so I'm ready for it finally. One of my backs has a stuck counter issue, and I have already downloaded the service manual for it and will be fixing that myself. This thing is going to be so much funn!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back