Mamiya RB67 Film Winding Issue

kalospix

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently got an RB67 ProS and I love the prospect of using it in portraiture along side my digital cameras.

So, after setting it up, I shot a polaroid using the polaroid back and got a real nice polaroid. Then I (I think I did it properly) loaded the film back w/120 film. I cocked the shutter and exposed the first frame (I thought). Once I did that, I re-cocked the shutter for the next exposure, and tried to wind the film to the next frame, but the film would not wind. I looked everywhere but could not see what was causing it. I loaded another back w/film and tried again. The same thing occurred. Am I missing a locking mechanism or something? I have pulled the light-blocking slide every time I am about to shoot, so I know it's not that. Any help would be appreciated. This is starting to get frustrating. I hope it's just something I forgot to do.

Jorge

The Mamiya RB 67 Pro S has many subtle interlocks preventing double exposures or blank exposures. Downloading a manual is the way to go. In the meantime check this:
Do you have a Pro back or a ProSD back instead of a Pro S back?
Is the mirror-up function engaged?
Is the revolving adapter turned to the click stop position?
Did you re-cock the shutter after the first exposure but without advancing the film?
Is the double exposure function engaged?
Is the shutter release button on the camera body locked?
Is the slide lock on the revolving adapter not fully home?
Is the camera fitted with a R-lock or G-lock revolving adapter?

Those are the things I would check first but that's only the start. Having the manual is good!

Thanks so much for the response. Let me see if I can follow the items and check them on the response.

The Mamiya RB 67 Pro S has many subtle interlocks preventing double exposures or blank exposures. Downloading a manual is the way to go. In the meantime check this:
Do you have a Pro back or a ProSD back instead of a Pro S back? R: the film backs I have (3 of them) are Pro S
Is the mirror-up function engaged? R: No it's not.
Is the revolving adapter turned to the click stop position? R: look and feels secured. I would say YES.
Did you re-cock the shutter after the first exposure but without advancing the film? R: I think I did so. Later I read in the manual (I understood it) that it didn't matter the order. Perhaps it does?
Is the double exposure function engaged? R:I don't think so, I also played with that but to no avail.
Is the shutter release button on the camera body locked? R: NO
Is the slide lock on the revolving adapter not fully home? R: I don't think so.
Is the camera fitted with a R-lock or G-lock revolving adapter? R: I have no clue. How do I verify that?

Those are the things I would check first but that's only the start. Having the manual is good!
I have reviewed the manual somewhat. BTW - It's online at the Mamiya website in the support page - as a PDF file download. I figured that it is sometimes easier and quicker and many times better to ask folks with the experience directly. But I will review the manual again though.

It would be such a shame to have to take this thing to service when there could be a solution right in front of me on the camera itself. Just the polaroids that I took already tell me that the potential for some great pics is there. Totally!

Jorge

On thing noticeable, maybe irrelevant is that I can continue to cock and trigger the shutter. When I go to wind the film, it just doesn't move.

When I loaded the film I took very good care to follow the loading instructions. And moved it up to the first exposure and everything. I also loaded a second film back to see if perhaps was the back itself. But so far 2 out of 3 don't work? Gees!

The question really can prevent the film from winding?? Is there a feature that does that or is something broken?

OK - I fixed it! And this may help someone else out there.
So I analyzed the operation of the winding and shutter mechanisms on the camera a little bit more and figured out by reading the manual too, that there is a pin, that, when the shutter is pressed, pushes an unlock mechanism on the film back corner (same as the multiexposure mechanism). If that pin is a millimeter off, it may not travel far enough to push into the film back properly thus the film won't want to wind when you crank the lever. So in my case, with a small (watch repair size) alligator-nose pliers and a tiny bit of straightening (it was bent ever so slightly) of the wire that actuates the pushrod.. That did it! Nevertheless, I will monitor how it works now to see if it may need any additional tweaking. I also do want to make sure that my other film backs will still work. I am sure that will be the case. Either way I feel triumphant on this one... :)

Jorge

Good find.

Very common problem. Those pins seem to always get bent or full of dirt because when changing lenses or working on their cameras, many people lay the camera on those pins. Also, not clicking the rev back in properly will prevent normal operation.

Thanks for posting the solution to your problem. I've got an RB67 and I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I've read the manual but the whole procedure of shooting this thing is still a bit of a mystery for me.

What lenses do you have?

Awe come one now, it's not all that complicated.

Load film in the back as per manual instructions.

Cock the film back till it stops at the first frame.

Now the complicated part...

Set the shutter speed n F stop on the lens.

Cock the camera body lever which arms the lens shutter.

Look in the WLF, set up your shot, focus diligently...

Carefully n with a steady hand, press the fire button on the front of the camera.

**Don't move yet because you heard the mirror go up, wait a second more so the shutter has a chance to finish firing.

Now advance the film frame n cock the body once more for your next shot.

Congratulations, you can do it!

Once you get the hang of it, you'll never go back to another camera ever agin... you'll miss all the attension this one gets you on the street!

Don't you have to do something with the dark slide?

Hahaha, you are correct mike. The camera wouldn't have fired if you had followed PaulRon's instructions to the t. I am actually purchasing one of these beasts today after work. I'm so excited to get back to film, especially with such glorious viewing space on that giant ground glass screen. I just really need my store to get more of the optech straps in so I can actually carry the tank around. I misloaded one roll on this camera already before downloading a manual, and now I have spent a whole lot of time reading and rereading the manual, so I'm ready for it finally. One of my backs has a stuck counter issue, and I have already downloaded the service manual for it and will be fixing that myself. This thing is going to be so much funn!

I just really need my store to get more of the optech straps in so I can actually carry the tank around.
No kidding. I don't think I'll be carrying mine around. I bought it with a bunch of studio gear including a very large, very heavy Manfrotto tripod & head. When I do shoot with this thing, I'll be using the big tripod.

I just really wish I had a wide angle lens for it. I think 50mm is the typical wide angle for this format. The only lens I have is the 100-200mm zoom.

AH HA so you do know how to use teh camera. I was testing you with th edark slide to see if you caught it. Only a guy that has faught with the camera would know what to look for if you followed my instructions to the T and it still didn't work.

Congratulations you are now a graduate, here is your diploma...

Now lets see some pics frum duh belly o da beast?

Well, I've read the manual (or a manual for a similar model), but I haven't run any film through it yet.

but I haven't run any film through it yet.

You'll be a film junkie soon enough.

I can see it now - For Sale: Brand new Canon 5DmkII. Comes with manual, cords, CD, battery, and charger.

:lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back