Man on bench

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow.

I'm new to this forum and I myself am ignorant for not realizing that photography carries such political feelings behind the images. I mean, yes I know pictures are supposed to capture feelings and emotions, but the ager behind some of the statements I just read are unbelievable!

Homeless people are homeless for millions of different reasons. Some may not be able to reverse their downfall, and some may be. Those who are physically and mentally ABLE to but don't, don't deserve society's respect. Those who are NOT able to deserve society's concern. But many times our concern is looked at by these poor souls as an insult, and by this, I personally will never lend another hand.

Growing up I used to buy a brand new fleece blanket every year and take it with me to the Thanksgiving Day Parade in Philadelphia. I would use it to keep warm. After the parade, I would find a homeless person and offer it to them. For YEARS they were very greatful for my offer. Until 3 years ago I offered my blanket to a man who cussed me out and spit at me. Two blocks down the road I happened upon another homeless person, who also refused to take my blanket. So I gave up.

The catch 22 doesn't work. So do have a job they need to look presentable. To look presentable they need money. To get money you need a job. To get a job you need to look presentable. They can stop the cycle somewhere. The dollar that someone gives him should be used to buy a new shirt. Not for more drugs.

Yes, I am arrogant because I worked from the bottom and busted my butt to get to where I am today. I beat an addiction to pain killers and I beat an addiction to nicotine. And now I protect my community. When I have ask a homeless person to move to a shelter due to approaching bad weather and they spit on me and put up a fight, why should I give them my respect?

I thought we were done with this thread.

For the record: I do not hate the homeless, or any group for that matter, with the exception of Muslim terrorists that would not hesitate to kill me in a moments notice.

People are homeless for many different reasons, but I’m not here to discuss that. What irritates me is when I post a photo of a homeless person, and am bombarded by folks wearing rosy colored glasses that feel I am somehow exploiting the homeless. I have the same right to aim my camera at a homeless person, criminal, rock-star, or Barry Bonds. For some reason people feel it is wrong to photograph a person who is making a spectacle of themselves in public, when they could just as easily be in another area where they would not be forcing their stench upon the rest of us. In the last few years, I have seen to many of these people use my sidewalk as a toilet, in public for all to see.

I’ll never forget when my partner and I arrested one after a storeowner complained he was threatening patrons. Immediately a small crowd gathered and accused us of harassing him. Their tune changed after they saw the knives and hacksaw we found on him. Then a warrant came back for attempted 187, (Murder). The best part was when one of the ex-hippie type woman that had come to his defense said, “but how can that be, he’s homeless.” Some people just don’t get it.

LaFoto said:
Ooops, what have I done?
I meant "people photos" in general - which would include the two lovers in the park, for example...........

I have always what to get one of those shots of lovers kissing. The closest I ever came was on the beach at Fundy Nat’l Park in New Brunswick. The only problem was that I only brought a wide-angle lens. Would have needed to be right in their faces for it work well.

I have zero qualms about photographing homeless people. In fact I haven't seen anyone else imply they thought it was wrong either. The only problem I have is your generalizations of homeless people.

While it's easy to say 'that dollar I give them should be used to buy a new shirt, not more drugs', sitting in your computer chair reading about your hobby, it's not that simple. Those who are addicted to harsh chemicals have SEVERE withdrawls symptoms. While addictions to pain killers or nicotine is nothing to take lightly, it isn't even remotely similar to addictions to harder drugs. Someone with withdrawl symptoms who is given a dollar really isn't thinking about how they can get a job, they are thinking about getting a fix. It's not simply readjusting your thinking, it requires forceful and deliberate even agonizing denial of what you crave more than anything else on the planet. Good intentions will only bring you so far.

VDUB113, you're not arrogant. Arrogance is acting high and mighty, like you are better than everyone else. You are far from that. As for why those people spit at you. I don't blame them. They don't want pity, they don't want handouts. They want to earn what they get. Be it collecting aluminum cans or however they get by. They should be commended for that fact. (earning not spitting) It's human nature to not want handouts.

photojunky, since there are bad apples in every group, I can't see why you single out the homeless. There's probably just as many murderers in the suburbs as anywhere else.

As far as muslim terrorists? There's arrogance right there. You for whatever reason feel you are better than people you know nothing about. They hate western civilization out of ignorance and misconceptions. You hate because you've been programmed to by the media / government. Terrorists are no different than you or me. They believe in a cause so strongly they aren't afraid to kill or die for it. Americans have been using the middle east for their own gain for so long it's no wonder they hate us. Americans have been there from day one giving weapons to one group, money to another, all to further their own gain. Middle easterner's have good reason to hate. Do you?

errant_star said:
btw I have seen someone rip the film out of a camera when they had their picture taken without permission (I'm assuming), so it definately can be a touchy situation

LOL, but what if it's a digital camera? I'd like to see someone try and hurt my camera... I have like $3500 in equipment in my bag, and I've heard stories of people getting jumped for their equipment. First of all, I've been doing various martial arts for about 10 years now, so it would probably take at least 3 guys to take my equipment anyway - not to mention I'm usually packin'.

Actually, I've thought of one thing that woudl be really cool: to take pictures of people abusing HOV lanes (for cities who have them) and then taking their license plate as they went by - and putting it on a web site like hovlaneabusers.com - that would really rock!! Does anyone here know if that would be legal? Thanks (I'm dead serious)

jadin said:
As far as muslim terrorists? There's arrogance right there. You for whatever reason feel you are better than people you know nothing about. They hate western civilization out of ignorance and misconceptions. You hate because you've been programmed to by the media / government. Terrorists are no different than you or me. They believe in a cause so strongly they aren't afraid to kill or die for it. Americans have been using the middle east for their own gain for so long it's no wonder they hate us. Americans have been there from day one giving weapons to one group, money to another, all to further their own gain. Middle easterner's have good reason to hate. Do you?

Please tell me you are not defending the fanatics. Regardless of our foreign policy, the fanatics will always hate us. I beg to differ, but the terrorists are different than most Americans. But I think explaining that to you would fall on deaf ears.

jadin said:

Let's not turn this into a middle eastern political BS debate... yes I hate muslim terrorists. I hate them as much as I hate the KKK or skinheads or Nazis or anyone else. Arrogance? Hell yes, I AM better than them because I won't hate a race or group because I have eyes. Why're you filling someone else's mouth with what you think they believe or think? That's wrong, in my opinion. State facts about yourself, not assumptions about someone else. Speaking of assumptions, the western civilization is hated because we listen to more than one idea... we listened to the idea of women's rights, and now they have rights, which is great! Try telling that to a Muslim extremeist. Yeah... feel the hate, and get over it. :D Yeah so what, I replied; I lied, but the subject took a turn from homeless to well... this. Someone lock this thread all ready, we've hijacked it! :lol:

This thread has taken a turn for the worse and has been locked to allow everyone to cool down a bit. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back