Mandarin Close Up

Space Face

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Mandarin 2-1.jpg

Nice close up - looks a bit dark though? Perhaps a touch more brightness to the photo as a whole and you could consider opening a hue and saturation adjustment and lowering the saturation in the cyan colour channel just a bit (you might want to use a layer mask to select the white area so that you don't lose the blues in the blue colouring on the bird)

Nice close up - looks a bit dark though? Perhaps a touch more brightness to the photo as a whole and you could consider opening a hue and saturation adjustment and lowering the saturation in the cyan colour channel just a bit (you might want to use a layer mask to select the white area so that you don't lose the blues in the blue colouring on the bird)

Yeah, I kinda agree. It was taken in shade so is near how it looked in life. I did brighten it in PP just before I posted but didn't like the result so posted the original. I might have another stab tho. Thanks for the input. Appreciated.;)

Very nice photo! What lens did you use?

I love the posture and that close crop! Very nice job.

The darkness doesn't bother me - I rather like it. I do find I'm distracted by the treatment of the water in the background - it looks more like smoke swirls, even feathery in the left upper corner. Keeps pulling my eye away from your lovely subject. :)

Very nice shot, I really like the water but I agree the shot is under, by about 0.4 EV I think. I reckon it's a bit too blue in the whites and could do with the colour temp raised as well.

Even though the photograph was made in the shade, I think that it would look better if it were brightened in post, as overread suggested.

One thing to remember is that if a photo is entirely in the shade then if we were viewing that scene with our eyes, our eyes would adapt to the dimmer lighting. So we wouldn't see the "shade" as such as being dark/underexposed (up to a point of course). Plus there's nothing in the shot to convey that its in the shade so we don't expect to see it darker.

They are truly beautiful creatures, and surprisingly, you don't see them much in China. Mostly zoos and wildlife exhibits. I agree a bit dark and on a calibrated monitor, a bit blue as well. All easily fixed though.

Be well,

Mark

I love the posture and that close crop! Very nice job.

The darkness doesn't bother me - I rather like it. I do find I'm distracted by the treatment of the water in the background - it looks more like smoke swirls, even feathery in the left upper corner. Keeps pulling my eye away from your lovely subject. :)

Thanks. There was no treatment of the water. That's pretty much how it was sooc. Strange I know but I've noticed this a few times with this lens when there's slight water movement in dark or shadowed water.

Very nice shot, I really like the water but I agree the shot is under, by about 0.4 EV I think. I reckon it's a bit too blue in the whites and could do with the colour temp raised as well.
Even though the photograph was made in the shade, I think that it would look better if it were brightened in post, as overread suggested.
One thing to remember is that if a photo is entirely in the shade then if we were viewing that scene with our eyes, our eyes would adapt to the dimmer lighting. So we wouldn't see the "shade" as such as being dark/underexposed (up to a point of course). Plus there's nothing in the shot to convey that its in the shade so we don't expect to see it darker.
They are truly beautiful creatures, and surprisingly, you don't see them much in China. Mostly zoos and wildlife exhibits. I agree a bit dark and on a calibrated monitor, a bit blue as well. All easily fixed though.

Be well,

Mark

Thanks for taking time to comment folks. Points about light taken on board;)

Yeah, I kinda agree. It was taken in shade so is near how it looked in life. I did brighten it in PP just before I posted but didn't like the result so posted the original. I might have another stab tho. Thanks for the input. Appreciated.;)

Would be interested in seeing this pic with the whites raised 'a little' to liven the colors a little and a 'small increase' in the temp. If you do, (and I'm sure you already know this) careful raising the whites too much and causing noise. That often seems to be the trade off when increasing the light in a dark pic.
All in all though, I like the pic, it looks like a beautiful mandarin duck in the shade.

Most reactions

Back