Mandolin

bikefreax

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
C&C welcome.

_8062442.jpg

I like the approach, bikefreax, but you might consider having the part that's in focus be at the near or far end of the neck. I tend to think that would work better.

Mandolins are photogenic. I've taken about thirty shots of mine. :)

Last edited:
I really like the starting out of focus, then in focus, then out again but will give your suggestion a try tonight. This is not the right angle I want but it was close. I was running out of light and did not want to use the flash because of the thin strings and shadows. I did try and did not like that look.
Thanks for the words.

I will give it a shot this weekend to see how it looks. I am thinking of entering this in a contest here locally. We will see how it looks the way you suggest.

agreed with what is said. I want to see more of the mandolin...:D (I know, that's not what this shot is about).
What kind of mandolin is it?

pascal

If you really like the idea of moving from out of focus to in focus to out of focus again, maybe you could just shift the part that's in focus a few frets towards the foreground or several frets towards the background.

My problem with it is that I get stuck on the in focus part. Other shots that I've seen that are similar use the out-of/in focus thing to create movement for the eye to follow. Either you're starting starting at a point of strong focus in the foreground and letting your eye drift off into the unfocused background or you're starting with an unfocused foreground and letting your eye be drawn towards a strong focal point in the background.

The way it is with the focused part being towards the middle kind of "traps" my eye there and I don't get that feeling of moving towards or away from anything.

Increasing the depth of field, a little might also help in achieving this "movement." As it is, it goes from perfect focus to entirely blurred in a matter of two frets. So basically any "movement" of my eye stops after two frets because things get so blurred that there's nothing else for my eye to follow. Basically, I end up only looking at the point in focus and two frets on either side. Increasing the depth of field so that it hits the point of completely blurry towards the upper and/or lower edge of the image (depending on whether or not you move the point of perfect focus) allows the viewer to follow the lines all the way through the image.

This is just my two-bits worth...

I do love the black and white. The contrast/curves could possibly tweaked a little so that your covering more of a complete dynamic range of pure white to pure black.

I absolutely love where you're going with this image, though! I actually love it so much that I may try something similar with my guitars!

Thank you for posting this!

Thanks for all the ideas and input. I will give it a shot this weekend to see what I come up with. As for what kind is it, it is just a cheap one I bought off eBay to hopefully try to learn to play, which I have not yet.

Thanks for all the ideas and input. I will give it a shot this weekend to see what I come up with. As for what kind is it, it is just a cheap one I bought off eBay to hopefully try to learn to play, which I have not yet.

same here, so I was wondering what kind it was.

pascal

When I get home from work I will see what kind it is and let you know.

Did my version of this a while back - 12th Fret

Try to get the point of focus at either 1/3 or 2/3 of the way up the shot, rather than on 1/2 where it is now.

B+W works well for these sort of things though.

Did my version of this a while back - 12th Fret

Try to get the point of focus at either 1/3 or 2/3 of the way up the shot, rather than on 1/2 where it is now.

B+W works well for these sort of things though.

Thats is nice, I will give it a shot this weekend.

Seen it soooooooooooooo many times before.

What haven't you seen before Max? We'll go out and shoot to order for you shall we? Heaven forbid we'd bore you or anything...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back