Manfrotto Ball Heads

erotavlas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Which one of these Manfrotto ball heads is the most that I need for a decent DSLR and long exposure times (more than 30 sec) and not too heavy lenses (I don't use telephoto)

486RC2 --> about $90
488RC0 --> about $149
488RC4 --> about $159

or

468MGRC2 --> about $379

(i.e. minimum requirements for sharp photos but lowest cost)

I dont get the question, all of those ball heads will do the tricks, I sometimes us a tripod that Manfrotto recommends for a point and shoot camera and it works wonderfully. The upsides as you go up in price are things like levels, mulitple levels, trigger release, etc. and than build quality.

I guess my question is am I going to see much of a difference in basic required functionality (i.e. holding a decent sized camera in place to produce a sharp image) between the various versions of Manfrotto ball heads....or am I just paying extra for things like load capacity, build quality, features, materials etc.

in other words can I get away with buying the cheaper ball head to reduce cost...while still maintaining the ability to stop any motion -- for a decent sized camera....canon 40D, on 055 legs.

Also what reasons would someone want to buy an expensive hydrostatic ball head like the 468MGRC2 anyway? Are there benefits besides lighter weight and load capacity?

Last edited:
Any of those are good heads.....I have the 486 myself and it does a great job. The next question is what kind of legs are you putting it on? You can have a $600 Wimberley head, but it ain't gonna mean squat if you put it on a $50 tripod that vibrates in the slightest breeze.

right now I'm using the manfrotto 055CL legs. But I'm looking for a new set thats a bit lighter and more compact...maybe something in the 190 series...like the 190CX

thanks for the reassurance on the 486 head. Although I think I'm leaning towards the 488 as it has the separate lever for 360degree panning. (useful for doing stitched panoramic shots)

I would suggest the one that you don't have listed. The 488RC2.
Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 488RC2 Midi Ball Head with | 488RC2
The difference between the RC0, RC2, & RC4 is the QR plate size. The RC2 is the best all around plate for a 35mm size body.

If you are willing to spend the amount of money for the Hydrostatic then I would get away from the Manfrotto system completely. For that kind of money the arca-swiss system can not be beat. This is one outstanding ball head that will serve virtually every need for a lifetime.
Really Right Stuff - BH-55 Pro: Full-sized ballhead with Pro - Kit Configuration Page
or this
Really Right Stuff - BH-40 Pro II: Mid-sized ball with Pro II - Kit Configuration Page

I would suggest the one that you don't have listed. The 488RC2.
Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 488RC2 Midi Ball Head with | 488RC2
The difference between the RC0, RC2, & RC4 is the QR plate size. The RC2 is the best all around plate for a 35mm size body.
Does the RC2 have the D-Ring for tightening? If so, then yes. I have the 488RC4 and it has a slotted (screwdriver) tightening screw and I don't like it nearly as much as the D-Ring as is on the .... 322RC2 ball head.

Yes, the RC2 plate has the D-ring tightener.

Does the RC2 have the D-Ring for tightening? If so, then yes. I have the 488RC4 and it has a slotted (screwdriver) tightening screw and I don't like it nearly as much as the D-Ring as is on the .... 322RC2 ball head.

An RC2 plate is an RC2 plate. They all have the D-Ring.

Most reactions

Back