Manfrotto NEW 055 series vs old and other tripod questions

NancyMoranG

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I keep researching and researching but I NEED to just order a tripod already!!
this is usually what happens, by the time I make a decision, a new version comes out :}

There is a new 055 series and a new 190 series. Is there much difference? This model seems to have good height with column down, can hold good amount of weight, has flexibility with 4 leg angles plus getting low to the ground. I do not see myself getting more lens than maybe the Tamron 150-600 someday.

Currently with D7000, and 35 mm, 55-300 mm and 11-16 mm.
I would be around water quite a bit as in ponds, lakes, small ocean surf, sand.

i did find this ..Manfrotto 055CX3 Carbon Fiber Tripod Legs 055CX3 B&H Photo Video

regular $400 now $300. I would need a head too, geez...any thoughts there? Any other similar model I should think about? My next choice is Vanguard Alta.
Thanks.
Nancy

A fellow over at Sand Lake showed me his "new series" 190, and demo'd it for me, and I hefted it and handled it just a bit. He and I were talking about photo stuff outside the store there for like 45 minutes last night. The "new" 190 looks very 21st century, and the weight is NOT BAD!!! It's also pretty tall. He showed me the new-design pivoting center column, which I view as a handy feature, but for typical uses, not all that big an advantage, and I thought, a slight compromise to stability for anything requiring realllllly steady tripod support. Still, there are times when the tripod is not "that critical", and it's more of a camera positioning tool, rather than a mountain of granite support device.

The best thing about the 190 for him was, since he's had two back operations, that it is a TALL tripod, with quite bearable weight. He bought it with the standard ball head Manfrotto is typically pairing it with, and it seems okay to me.

Tripod needs are tough, because they vary. If you HIKE, YES, carbon fiber is sooo nice and light! If you just use the tripod a bit, I see not much advantage to CF. The 055CX at $289 looks like a nice, light 'pod...CF, AND flip-lock legs...nice. If you just drive around,and take the tripod only short distances, I do not see a lot of advantage to CF over aluminum. And YES, the 055CX is being sold there as just a leg set--you'd NEED a tripod head.

regular $400 now $300. I would need a head too, geez...any thoughts there? Any other similar model I should think about? My next choice is Vanguard Alta.
Thanks.
Nancy

I replaced my aluminum Manfrotto 055 with a MeFoto CF Globe Trotter. I lost some height but gain a tripod that weights about a pound less and folds down to 16.1 inches. It doesn't take up near the room in my suit case and it's a lot easier on my back when out hiking. It's pretty stout as well, I shot a time-lapse of a storm rolling in over a mountain lake in Colorado and did pretty decent. I still didn't take any chances, I loaded the carrying case up with large rocks and attached them to the center shaft on the tripod...as well as lowered it some.

MeFOTO GlobeTrotter Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod Kit C2350Q2K B&H

The new MT055 Xpro3 is a nice tripod. I would like to upgrade to one.

Most reactions

Back