Pro tripod to finish off kit. Landscape and Portrait

CR88

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
To start off, I didn't just post without looking for other similar threads first. I have read literally hundreds of threads pertaining to the tired old Manfrotto 055 vs 190 dillema. I am wondering if anyone would have a different take given my particular circumstances. I will be doing mostly portraits and product photography. But, also have great interest in landscape photography and would like to work on developing my skillset in that genre. But, after upgrading my kit (camera, lenses, filters, etc.) I used up most of my budget. So, am looking for a sub $300 tripod that could work for everything, at least until I can afford to pickup up something else to add.

I was strongly advised by many to pick up an 055 with ball head (BHQ2) because of my budget and its reputation. But, after receiving it I was surprised at its weight (6.6 lbs.) So I plan to return and pick up a 190, also with the BHQ2. They had one on display and while it was better, it still seems hefty, but the lighter ones seemed to lack stability. Even with the weight, I'm not sure it will be sufficient for landscape work (hiking, windy conditions, long exposures with ND filters, etc.) As for gear weight, I shoot with a D750 and the longest lens I have is a 70-200 2.8, but most of the time I will be using my 18-35, 50mm 1.4, 100mm 2.8, and 24mm 2.8.

Most of the things I have read suggest multiple options or carbon fiber but right now both are out of the question. If a 055 is a better fit, I can just deal with the weight. But if a 190 will work I would much rather use that as my primary. I am about 5'10", so the 190 is around eye level even without extending. Also, at 165lb, it seems like it will feel a lot better than carrying around 6.6 lbs on a long hike. If there is another option, I am open. I just need clip legs, but I am open on everything else. Thanks!

I know it's not "pro photographer gear", but it works. I already had the transit, just made a modified plate to attach to the top of the tripod instead of the transit. For landscape it's tough as nails, rock solid, and not really that heavy. DEWALT 20X Transit Level Package-DW092PK - The Home Depot

There are three categories of tripods. (1) Cheap; (2) Light; and (3) High quality. You only get to pick two. A cheap tripod will be either light or very poor quality (or likely both); a light tripod will be either very expensive or very poor quality... I have both 055 and 190 legs amongst my collection (I seem to collect tripods for some reason...) and I think they're both quite decent for the price. The first rule of tripods is never buy new if you can avoid it. You can generally save from 30 to 50 cents on the dollar buying used, and since they're easy to check, and not much to go wrong with... they're a great thing to get on the used market.

I personally think that for portrait photography there is a best tripod, by far. It has squeeze-and-release, instant height adjustment and leg-leveling. It can go from low to high and have all three legs locked and leveled in less than five seconds for many adjustments. Seriously.

Like MOST photography gear, used prices are far lower than new prices. I think sturdy tripods are best bought used.

Manfroto 058B is the best portraiture tripod ever invented, IMO. Used? Around $300 if you can find one.
Manfrotto 058B Aluminum Triaut Tripod 058B B&H Photo Video

Of course, this is the best for SPEED, and for actually using for height adjustment and precise level-adjustment. The thing is...when it takes 3 seconds to level and lock a leg, versus 10,12,15 seconds, or 14 second to set up an ALL-new camera placement versus 45 seconds, the 058B allows you to actually do the proper thing, the proper way, as opposed to saying , "Ehhhh, I guess I'm set up close enough."

You mention professional tripod. Look at Karl Taylor's YiouTube video that shows why he's on his second one of these; mine is 30 years old, works like a dream for portraiture, and is VERY sturdy. But this is NOT a "hiker's tripod" by any means!

I post about this piece of equipment once a year or so...it is controversial...most people have never even seen this tripoid, let alone used it...it is NOT the same as adjusting three, or six, or nine twist-lock leg nuts to get the camera perfectly set up...this is Squeeze And LEt Go and BOOM! the tripod is perfectly set-up and locked, in liteerally, three to four seconds on most shots. But, too heavy for carrying on hikes, but superb for roadside or ocean beach highway shots, or night shots, product shoots, things like that.

As Tirediron suggests: tripods are a great ting to buy on the used market. There are a LOT of conventional, three-section-leg 'pods with twist locks OR flip-locks, for $150-$299 new. I prefer SPEED, so for me, flip-lock wins out over twist-lock. If you want vanilla, the 055 and 190 'pods are very low-cost used.

A person needs probably THREE tripods: a mini, a lightweight portable; and a heavy best-grade model.

I think you might want something in the middle category. I thought your post was geared more toward something in the third category, but re-reading it I think maybe you want one of the second type buy well-made, yet light...that costs some dinero...

You said "Mostly portraits and product" work....for that the 058B is the superlative instrument.

There is NO such thing as the ideal portait/product AND hiking/landscape tripod. For hikers and light-duty landscape uses, the 055 and 190 are perfectly adequate, affordable, and commonly recommended and used.

I don't know that there's much more to add, but as another member of the tripod collectors club, I figured I might as well chime in. If you want stability, you want some weight - that's why expensive carbon fiber tripods will have a hook on the bottom to hang your bag other weights from. I have the aluminum 055 and it has served me well for years. I don't mind carrying it strapped to a backpack as long as it is centered, but I wouldn't try strapping it to a sling pack. My only additional advice here would be to go with the 190 if yo are under about 5'10", as the only real difference between the 055 and 190 is the max height. It sounds like you already have that part figured out though.

I will be doing mostly portraits and product photography.

..I'm not sure it will be sufficient for landscape work (hiking, windy conditions, long exposures with ND filters, etc.)
I see a conflict of interests here. One tripod is not ideal for all types of photography. I have three, but I will probably obtain at least two or three more in coming years.

So let's say you get one lightweight carbon fiber tripod for hiking, and set it up on a windy mountain top, and the wind blows it over. Should you have opted for a heavier one? I can't say, but just something to consider.

As for portraiture and product photography, you don't need a tripod, you need a brick. The heavier the better. My heavy tripod is one that most people wouldn't want to carry from the car to the studio without some wheels.

I have one that is small and lightweight and happens to fit in my gadget bag, but it is basically only for those times that I need one, but don't have my medium-weight tripod with me.

Thanks all. Interesting take on the industrial tripod, never really thought of that but have used them in the past when we were building our house and they were rock solid and relatively light weight.

Also, never really thought of used, and not sure why. As a former professional musician I have purchased my share of used equipment that I could have never afforded new.

I do plan to get a pistol grip for the portrait work. I used one when I worked for a wedding photographer many years ago and liked it quite a bit. I will ultimately upgrade but was just hoping a single option could get me by until I can afford something better. I will definitely check the used market, the 190 and 055 kits with the BHQ2 head were surprisingly cheap at $260-$275 so if I can find used cheaper I may be able to grab the pistol grip too or even something better.

Thanks for the tip on the video for the 058, very nice. Noticed quite a few under $200 on the used market. I can foresee grabbing one of those down the road and upgrading my carry around to a decent carbon fiber option as funds are available.

I did pickup a Mefoto Backpacker for a trip a few weeks ago, but found their twist locks to be more of a nuisance and also found it quite unstable on the windy shores of Daytona Beach and the rooftop of the Disney resort. Trying to get some sunrise and long exposure firework shots didn't work out too well. So, I figured I would do a little research and grab a more stable mid grade tripod, and maybe just use the Backpacker for ultra light hiking when long exposures aren't needed.

My two most used tripods are an ancient Lisand 7jr with a Graf studioball head and an equally ancient aluminum Gitzo 5 series. Though for portraits in a studio environment, I prefer either a smaller bogen studio stand or my monster Cambo UST.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back