TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
critique always welcome and thanks for looking

ISO500 f/1.8 1/80

profile-1.jpg

I like it but the background is very distracting, especially the jagged white shape just to the left of the chin.

that is a good point, and thank you kindly

I'm a sucker for mannequins

You only get one pose, but boy, can they hold it!

Agree with the earlier point on the background, its very distracting. On a personal note I'd like to see more of the mannequin's environment. Is she in a store window, on a display, is she looking toward her true love forever frozen apart from, or is it just a head.

Agree with the earlier point on the background, its very distracting. On a personal note I'd like to see more of the mannequin's environment. Is she in a store window, on a display, is she looking toward her true love forever frozen apart from, or is it just a head.

Valuable feedback. Thank you! She was a head and shoulders in a museum display, so there was busy background as well as reflections. I didn't really take any wider shots, though I wish I had. I get a sort of "tunnel vision" when I'm shooting. Trying to get past that.

profile-1-4.jpg

It's nice to have one at home where you can control everything. Otherwise it's just another photo and doesn't help you much.

so there was busy background as well as reflections.

I actually find this one better, though it could use more light in the eyes.

Don't be afraid of reflections, use them by incorporating them as part of the composition. Do some searches on @jcdeboever he has to be the master of using reflections.

Just because a background isn't good doesn't mean your primary focus can't be. Learn to use DOF to take the background OOF, add more light to your subject (flash or relector) that will take the backround dark, or as last result do away with and replace the background in PS.

Thanks smoke! I'm a big fan of jc's reflection work.

I took the backround OOF as much as humanly possible in camera, but I see the shapes are still too bold and distracting.

Thanks for taking the time to help out!

Most reactions

Back