Miaow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
s7.invisionfree.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All,

Just after some advice here - There is obviously some junk (a fibre and dust) on the 400D's sensor at pres - i gather it got in when i used some air to clean similar stuff off the mirror and the glass above the mirror. It appearing and disappearing and then re-appearing when the sensor does it's clean so i gather the fibre/dust is maybe sticking to whatever is cleaning it automatically... It's very unpredicable on when it's occuring - some times after testing the pics it's ok and then the next time the fibre & dust are back in the same place

So reading in the booklet I can do a manual sensor clean plus I've read on here ways of doing it also, I'm just wondering will using some air actually get rid of this fibre thing if its stuck to say the auto cleaning bit.

I'm actually thinking of taking this into a local camera shop tomorrow cause I'm a little hesitant in case i damage anything trying a manual clean. But saving money is also a good thing if I can get this done right lol

TIA

Hi All,

Just after some advice here - There is obviously some junk (a fibre and dust) on the 400D's sensor at pres - i gather it got in when i used some air to clean similar stuff off the mirror and the glass above the mirror. It appearing and disappearing and then re-appearing when the sensor does it's clean so i gather the fibre/dust is maybe sticking to whatever its cleaning it automatically... It's very unpredicable on when it's occuring - some times after testing the pics it's ok and then the next time the fibre & dust are back in the same place

So reading in the booklet I can do a manual sensor clean plus I've read on here ways of doing it also, I'm just wondering will using some air actually get rid of this fibre thing if its stuck to say the auto cleaning bit.

I'm actually thinking of taking this into a local camera shop tomorrow cause I'm a little hesitant in case i damage anything trying a manual clean. But saving money is also a good thing if I can get this done right lol

TIA

Don't use compressed air. It's bad.

Try a blower and few little blast while it's in cleaning mode. Make sure to hold the camera lens mount down.

Don't use compressed air. It's bad.

Try a blower and few little blast while it's in cleaning mode. Make sure to hold the camera lens mount down.

Have got one of those ball pumps with the little thin nozzles was gonna use as isnt that forceful?

Also 'in cleaning mode' do you mean it's self clean or the manual one?

Never used compressed air as it may genuinely cause damage. That said the sensitivity is over-rated.

I for one set it into cleaning mode then gently blow into the opening of the camera being careful that I don't blow any fluids in.

Regardless of what people say the fact is the sensor is still behind a glass low pass filter. Even if it does fog up just give it a second and it'll be good again.

Manual sensor cleaning is pretty easy, just be sure to use the proper products and technique. As mentioned, use bulb blower with the camera upside down (active manual cleaning mode).

If that doesn't get it, then you may need a wet cleaning. This requires some type of clean swab and some cleaning fluid (eclipse).

Never used compressed air as it may genuinely cause damage. That said the sensitivity is over-rated.

I for one set it into cleaning mode then gently blow into the opening of the camera being careful that I don't blow any fluids in.

Regardless of what people say the fact is the sensor is still behind a glass low pass filter. Even if it does fog up just give it a second and it'll be good again.

Like blow = breath?

Even if you're "being careful that you don't blow any fluids in", you're still blowing in moisture which can cause spots on the filter infront of the sensor.

I mean seriously, why do you think it's fogging up? Temperture changes do not cause fogging, condensation causes fogging; condensation is due to moisture.

"Giotto Rocket" did the trick for me - the "big" one is less then $20 (@ B&H) which is perfect for me. Was going to wait after "family beach day" for cleaning if rocket did not do trick.

You just inspired me to try somthing,I dug out a tiffen sky 1A filter the canned air held it at an angle to the filter so as too get some liquid when it shot out ,sure enough it did, so i let it dry ,there is a funky shaped ring left behind wipped it off and i noticed there was a ring on the back side as well must have been from condesation from the cold liquid,that wiped clean . The front side needed to be acually scrubbed to get the ring off,NOT what i would want to do with my lo-pass filter in camera,just thought i would let you all know what i just found.

just cleaned my sensor this morning with a speckgrabber again. all dust bunnies at f/22 gone. very simple procedure. takes about 5 to 10 minutes maximum.

Thanks for all the replies :)

Ended up we gave it a clean after we got a quote from a camera shop for $80 aus to do it *EEK* So far the pics seem really good actually better than they have been recently in general so maybe some of the dust had been in there for a bit but hadnt really noticed it so much till the hair/fibre appeared. Ended up using the hand operated ball pump (extremely slowly) for air but without the nozzle so the air came out less compressed sorta

just cleaned my sensor this morning with a speckgrabber again. all dust bunnies at f/22 gone. very simple procedure. takes about 5 to 10 minutes maximum.

Think i might have to see if I can find one of those here..

Thought all was ok and the air had done the trick as normal pics were clear but then tonight went and took some pics which i was using longer exposure and F22 & F25 and there was the dust spots and the fibre/hair again and they hadnt moved :grumpy:

Will try more air and see if i can get it to budge but it's looking like a more detailed clean is needed.....

TCImages - Thanks for the link - Think I'll be checking out that post very soon....

Thought all was ok and the air had done the trick as normal pics were clear but then tonight went and took some pics which i was using longer exposure and F22 & F25 and there was the dust spots and the fibre/hair again and they hadnt moved :grumpy:

To see all the dustbunnies I usually select the highest aperture number, point at an evenly lit wall or ceiling, set to manual focus and defocus totally, and shoot. that way you get to see all the dust. might be quite a shock when you do this first time ;)

To see all the dustbunnies I usually select the highest aperture number, point at an evenly lit wall or ceiling, set to manual focus and defocus totally, and shoot. that way you get to see all the dust. might be quite a shock when you do this first time ;)

Thanks for that - Just did that on F32 and OMG it's worse than I thought....:confused:

Most reactions

Back