Manual Flash (read: save me from certain doom)

sbalsama

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Okay, so here's the deal. I have a flash for my Olympus, T32, that I will be using on my Mamiya C330. It works on manual flash with G.N. 32 and 16 (meters, at ISO 100). I use my Lunasix to meter my flash (using the ambient dome thing facing the camera, flash set at 32) the flash, turn the dials to match, and I have my exposures. I then see my target is at 3m away and my flash calculator on the flash says f/22. I look at my meter and the dial says f/22 corresponds to 1/8.

Now, translate that all for me, please :p

This all took place in a dark corner and would it work outdoors in the shade, too?

What exactly does the G.N. have to do with the ISO rating (100) and what changes when I use 400 film?

Am I doing this right? What really should I be doing?

Please help me on this, I'll kiss your feet (or shoes) clean. :p Thank you!

Guide numbers are a function of the film speed and the power output of the flash unit (in(beam-candle-power-seconds or effective-candle-power-seconds).
Exposure is easier to calculate from a GN.
The GN divided by the flash-to-subject distance in feet will give you the f-number.
To find the GN for your flash you will need to use the table supplied by the manufacturer as the GN change with ISO is on a curve.
Not sure about your meter - I use a dedicated digital that just gives you a f-stop reading.

Most reactions

Back