Manual flash

APHPHOTO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been wanting to learn more about using my SB-800 in manual mode. I know the basics but am having a hard time understanding one thing. Its seems practicle in a studio but what about shooting an event when your moving around alot. Seems like your constantly adjusting aperture or flash output. Is this the case or is it easier than I assume.

I typically leave the camera settings alone and adjust the power based on the distance (either of the subject or of the objects that I'm bouncing the flash off of, or both).

Manual flash shooting for on-the-go, mobile, constantly-changing shooting at events (weddings, reunions, parties, news events,etc.) is not really the smart way to go!!! With "Manual" flash, the flash puts out X amount of popwer, each and every time....meaning the correct f/stop can vary between f/32 to f/1.4...depending on how close or how far the subject is from the flash. When one is, "shooting an event where you're moving around a lot", a MUCH easier solution with the SB 800 flash is the Auto-Aperture method. Pick an f/stop that allows adequate range, and which is pictorially/artistically/practically appropriate for the situation. For example, when you have to shoot "long throws", like to say a podium and you are 45 feet back, set the lens to maybe f/2.8 when indoors. If you are shooting lots of post-wedding reception candids, with groups of 3,4,5,6 people at close range like 15 feet or under, set the lens to f/8 to f/11. Then, set the flash to the Auto-Aperture mode and set the flash to the aperture in use, and it will provide the estimated right amount of flash exposure for the aperture value you have chosen. Pretty simple. The distance range usable for the f/stop in use is displayed on the back of the SB 800.

This can be thought of as "semi-auto" flash control, and is basically the best flash control method that the flash and camera makers could come up with until TTL flash control was invented. And--it works great!

I've been wanting to learn more about using my SB-800 in manual mode. I know the basics but am having a hard time understanding one thing. Its seems practicle in a studio but what about shooting an event when your moving around alot. Seems like your constantly adjusting aperture or flash output. Is this the case or is it easier than I assume.

Pretty much. When the camera/flash/subject distance is changing constantly, manual flash is very awkward. If you want to stay in manual mode, it really is best to put the flash in auto, and use flash exposure compensation, as the flash is going to consistently get you in the ball park.

Remember, while it's very admirable that you want to get familiar and skilled with manual flash, you must also learn its limitations. Trying to use fully manual flash in a situation in which it is limited will not help you and will only frustrate you.

as for what Derrel said, I'll defer to his expertise, as I am completely unfamiliar with Nikon flashes and Canon flashes work differently in aperture priority mode.

Most reactions

Back