Manual Focus and AF-sensors (Nikon D50)

Polygon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was just wondering, if I'm getting some old cheap MF-lense for my Nikon D50, will I still be able to utilize the AF-sensors? I've noticed that on manual focus I still see that little "dot" in the viewfinder once the subject in the selected AF-measurefield is sharp. From a technical view there shouldn't be much of a problem with it, so I'm wondering if anyone every tried it and if it's perhaps disabled in the firmware.

I could live with the loss of the light meter when using MF (wouldn't shoot "time-critical" stuff with it anyway) but the focus help would be invaluable as it's difficult to check out right where I'm shooting. Thanks your your replies.

I heard Nikon does NOT disable focus confirmation with manual lenses, but I haven't touched their cameras at all.

Canon won't confirm AF at all, unless you use the AF lenses.

That's right, the AF indicators will show if you have it in focus in the sensor areas. Just the same as if you are shooting with the switch on the M on the front of the camera.

And Arty... There is a pretty good chance that if a lens is a Nikon SLR lens, it will fit the mount on one of the DSLRs out today. Good 'ole F mount. ;)

It seems from what I've heard that the focus indicator will work with MF lenses on Nikon cams, but I know that on the D50 and D70 the exposure meter will NOT work if you try to use any lens that isn't AF. So while you'll be able to focus, you won't be able to expose. Although with digital cams you always have the histogram function to make sure your exposure is OK I suppose.

Now that sounds good, thanks a lot for the info!

It seems from what I've heard that the focus indicator will work with MF lenses on Nikon cams, but I know that on the D50 and D70 the exposure meter will NOT work if you try to use any lens that isn't AF. So while you'll be able to focus, you won't be able to expose.

I guess I could live with that for non-action shots. Would end in taking a few shots until it's about right and then one in RAW which is finally made right on the PC.

Although with digital cams you always have the histogram function to make sure your exposure is OK I suppose.

Do you have any more info about the correlation between the histogramm and exposure (sorry, kinda new to that)? Weblinks also welcome ;-).

Most reactions

Back