manual or auto focus

I'll use manual focus for most everything unless it's a fast moving subject. For stationary objects I'll use the zoom focus assist.

The stock focusing screens in most cameras make it impossible to actually see the focus plane, even if you can occasionally get a hint of what's in focus. I use an aftermarket screen from focusingscreen.com, and it's awesome. My 2 most used lenses are manual focus only, and using the screen it's not a problem at all. I will note though that my 85mm 1.8 was not designed to be focused manually.... it's got a focusing ring, but it's almost impossible to manipulate it accurately since it has an extremely short angle of rotation, and less than perfect manufacturing tolerances. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is manually focusing with ease is a combination of the lens and the focusing screen. (and practice! lots of practice...)

Glad to see someone happy with FocusingScreen.com.. I knew about them, and have considered some of their screens. I was hesitant though.. as their website seemed a little hokey.

They're certainly hokey, but the product is great. The instructions and all that were badly translated and badly copied. The company as a whole doesn't have much interaction with their customers, the whole thing felt very hands off. But you do get an excellent screen at half the price of katzeye...

Now that I know what's possible I'd like to try a simpler screen from a different company probably. I think the one I'm using is a K3 style, it's got a split prism, surrounded by a microsprism ring, surrounded by a coarse matte. I'm curious what it might be like to use a simple high quality coarse matte without all the prisms. It's nice having a lot of tools, but they're also obtrusive when you're trying to think about composition.

Large coarse matte circle was my favorite screen when I had my studio back in the 80's... really liked it (of course, my eyes were better then, too! lol!). Looked for that when I was buying the Katzeye for my D7000... but didn't find any I felt comfortable with. Let me know if you find one you like!

Charlie

Most reactions

New Topics

Back