redbourn

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
best-food.info
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Nikon D3300

But I think it applies to most cameras too.

Auto focus will move the selected area to a nearer area of high contrast.

Used manual on this photo for the first time and the results are better than before.

What caused the ´problem' with meat left center and a little bit in other places ?

Thanks,

Michael

* I can no longer upload photos in Chrome.
beef stew and mushrooms.jpg

Manual focus is definitely beneficial in close-up and macro work, as the camera will often "choose" the wrong point in such situations. It also allows you to position your DoF exactly where you want it. What specific problem are you referring to with the meat?

For that kind of picture, manual focus should be better because the DoF is so shallow that if the AF selects the wrong point, it throws everything out of focus.

Not entirely sure what's the "problem" you refer to.

Thank you both for the comments.

meat gray.jpg
I feel encouraged!

The problem?

Maybe it's me being over critical?

I might play with the WB a little.

Terribly sorry but I still don't see it.

Is it the white in the meat? That's the reflection from the light source, which seems to be a cloudy sun.

Is it the lack of focus on it? If you were shooting handheld, you could try again with a larger f-value like f/8 or f/11 to increase depth of field and have a better chance at getting the parts you want focused. When you're handheld and shooting macro, any small body movement can throw your focus out the window.

EDIT: wait, is it the meat's color? Then yeah, play with WB or any other tool you use to change color.

I defiantly prefer manual focus when shooting macro, still life and sense where I don't want the camera to pick. The "problem" you are pointing at are know as highlights or reflection from your light source. Adjusting the WB is not going to fix the highlights.

Thanks for checking and I'm glad you can't see it.

The one on the left in particular looks to me like it had the top part pasted on to it and it has almost a grayish tinge to it.

After playing with the white balance, not sure if it's better or not?

Anyway the photos in my book will be about 7x7 " so I think it's usable.
wb.jpg

I am no expert but I think the highlights need to be toned down. I don't see the issue with the meat other than the juices puddling on top and I don't see that as a bad thing. I would sharpen it up a bit. I could probably do more with a RAW file but this is what I could get from the jpeg.
beef stew and mushrooms.jpg

you focused on the parsley. i wouldn't say the results here using manual were succesful...

upload_2015-12-17_11-8-23.png

you focused on the parsley. i wouldn't say the results here using manual were succesful...

View attachment 112939

Most important question.

Is the meat in focus?

Does the meat next to the top piece of parsley look sharp?

I did add more intensity to the green and more presence in LR

Thanks for the reply.

Michael

the meat is not in focus at all.

Taking into account what @Braineack mentioned I took another look at the raw image.

In this photo I didn't push the greens and I set the WB to 5500 which is what I have.

Maybe an improvement ?

The meat with mushroom soup on it will never look textured.

Michael
beef stew and mushrooms wb.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back