Manual or Auto Mode

leewald

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm kinda new on the forum and this is my first post.
I have a Canon Elan II and my question is this. When I have the camera set in Auto and would press the shutter halfway, the exposure and and and the aperture setting would be displayed as: 60, 5.6, respectively. Yet when I set the camera in Manual and I set the exposure and aperture at these settings for the same picture, the camera tells me that the pic is underexposed. Is there a reason for this?

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I tried the sequence with the flash enabled and disabled and always with the same result. In manual mode the camera indicated that the pic was underexposed.

Hmmm... :scratch:

Maybe it's metering it in a different way? In auto the camera is using one metering method, perhaps centre weighted (as an example) and when you flick it to manual it's metering in spot mode? So the two different ways would give you that result. Easy to fix, just change what setting you have it on. If that's the reason for it.

Bracketing may be useful here. Do what the camera tells you, then one in front and one behind. One of the three will be better exposed than the others. It's the safest option if you really want that photograph.

Hmmmmm, never thought about the different metering modes. I'll see if the manual tells me what metering mode is being used in auto. thanks for the tip.

I tried different metering modes and always with the same before mentioned results. I also tried the different programmed modes but when I used the settings that the camera uses in auto, it tells me that it is underexposed.

sounds like something wrong with the camera. If the exposure comensation settings are set to zero, the flash is not in use forcing a min speed of 1/60, the exposure method, matrix, evaulative, spot, centre weighted are the same in all modes, the subject and focal length used remains the same. I would expect the same reading.
I just checked on my EOS5 and for every setting i got the same reading except for the P etting where I had to chnge the settings as it defaulted to 1/60 F8, but thats the same. all readings where 1/125 5.6

Most reactions

Back