Manual or auto?

I used to use primarily Av or Tv on my dslr, but once I figured it out, I switched to primarily manual. I generally check the meter, then adjust accordingly. It's not like film where I have to sweat getting it wrong- if I don't like it, I readjust and try again.

When I first got my camera, I worried a lot about modes and if I was "not cool" for using Av and Tv modes. Now I move in and out of modes without thinking about it.

I am probably 90% manual at this point.

I have read all of 1 or 2 chapters of this book and I am amazed at the wealth of information I have learned. I had no idea how you would go about shooting in full manual before that. I now shoot in full manual after only 2 chapters.

I'm continuing to read it and look to learn an overwhelming amount of information judging on only the first 2 chapters.

.....and you don't need a dSLR to shoot in manual, A, or S modes....

you're right, you don't need a dSLR to shoot in manual, A or S modes, but you will have nowhere near the variability or control with the manual mode of a P&S as you will with a dSLR.

I usually shoot in aperture and if the picture doesn't come out how I want to I adjust in manual accordingly. It really depends on what kind of effect I'm going for

I use auto alot of the time, Mostly in fast pace sceneries, other then that i try to shoot in manual as much as possible

I virtually never shoot in manual mode.

I shot exactly one picture on my D80 that I had 20K plus exposures on in manual mode, and that was just to see how it worked.

I shoot in Aperture Priority mode most of the time, and Shutter Priority the rest of the time, depending on if I am shooting something that is sitting still or something that is moving.

I know HOW to shoot manually (I got my first SLR in 1976, and was a photojournalist in the 1980's... so I REALLY know how to do it) I just don't see much of a point in shooting full manual. I know the aperture I want for a given situation to give me the depth of field I want, so why not just set that aperture and shoot? Same with the shutter speed, I know I am shooting bicycle races at 1/1000th of a second since that is the speed it takes to freeze the spokes on a bike wheel traveling at 30mph, so I set that, and then the aperture is what it is.

Hey, if you want to shoot in full manual mode, then knock yourself out. Me, I take hundreds of shots a day, often with very fast moving subjects... I will stick to Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority and let the camera meter just do its thing.

I virtually never shoot in manual mode.

I shot exactly one picture on my D80 that I had 20K plus exposures on in manual mode, and that was just to see how it worked.

I shoot in Aperture Priority mode most of the time, and Shutter Priority the rest of the time, depending on if I am shooting something that is sitting still or something that is moving.

I know HOW to shoot manually (I got my first SLR in 1976, and was a photojournalist in the 1980's... so I REALLY know how to do it) I just don't see much of a point in shooting full manual. I know the aperture I want for a given situation to give me the depth of field I want, so why not just set that aperture and shoot? Same with the shutter speed, I know I am shooting bicycle races at 1/1000th of a second since that is the speed it takes to freeze the spokes on a bike wheel traveling at 30mph, so I set that, and then the aperture is what it is.

Hey, if you want to shoot in full manual mode, then knock yourself out. Me, I take hundreds of shots a day, often with very fast moving subjects... I will stick to Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority and let the camera meter just do its thing.

+1

I shoot manual 99% of the time too. Sometimes I try Auto just to see what happens - I'm usually not too happy with the results. I haven't played around with AP very much. I'd like to try that on an upcoming shoot.

Why I need to set "Exposure comp." in Aperture Priority mode?

For the same reason you would use exposure comp in any mode. Meters can be tricked. You need to make adjustments. Go meter a snow field and take the pic. See what results your meter gives.

It's all about metering. The camera's meter will always try to give you exposure for 18% grey...so if you have a scene that is white snow...is would come out grey. If you had a dark scene...it would also come out grey.
As the photographer, we need to realize that the meter is doing this and we should compensate for it, to get more accurate results.

I'm still learning so I shoot in auto. Until I buy and read Understanding Exposure, then I'm going to switch to manual. Assuming I'm going to learn a lot from reading it.

For me there is no definitive answer to that question. The occasion and mood is deciding it for me. I mean, on a racetrack for instance. If you know what kind of feeling you want in the photos, you probably shoot in Tv mode, getting the correct amount of blur and speed. When shooting portrait or products I use Av mode for full control of dof. And sometimes I use full manual mode just to cope with a tricky lighting situation or just to experiment.

The only mode I never use is the green all automatic mode.

I shoot in manual mode if it is something i get time to set up or if it is tricky lighting

If I am trying to capture my children or something happens rapidly that I want to get, or if I am trying to shoot and watch my children, then I shoot in shutter or aperture priority....depending on the lighting and what I want from the photo

Depends. I usually shoot in a Priority mode, either Aperture priority mode if I want to ensure a certain DOF, or in Shutter priority if I want to ensure that I freeze an action or get a certain blur. Sometimes I don't like my light-meter hunting around, or I don't trust the reading it's getting, and then I go manual.

I am 99.9% manual shooter and have been since I got my camera. I think it stems from being so frustrated with the limitations of my Fuji Finepix for so long that once I could shoot manual I became almost anti-auto. Funnily enough, I never ever use aperture priority or AV mode so don't actually KNOW how (though I am sure is would just take a few seconds actually being in that mode). Having said that, high speed subjects would be far easier in auto - something for me to ponder next time I am staking out sunflowers waiting for that perfectly plump bumble bee.

Come to think of it - I seem to remember that I don't like my Auto setting. Maybe it has to do with my light meter...in manual I always underexpose (according to the meter) as the pics come out better...

blah blah blah blah blah....can you tell it is a slow day at work? LOL

Most reactions

New Topics

Back