Marcus Lattimore, a wounded hero, respected by both sides

fjrabon

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

P1010395 by franklinrabon, on Flickr

snap I got this weekend with my point and shoot of both teams circling around Marcus Lattimore after he was seriously injured in the game. the young man is perhaps the most respected player in college football, both as a player and a person.

I've never been one to get upset over sports, but this was a truly moving moment. I felt physically ill after the game, even though South Carolina won. Things like this just shouldn't happen to young men like him who are both truly talented, yet humble and deserving of everything they've achieved.

After wild rumors yesterday that he had broken his patella and torn all 4 ligaments in his knee, it has been found to just be an extremely hyperextension, with damage (but not full tearing) of the ligaments. He will likely redshirt next year and have one year of eligibility the year after that to prove he is the same player for the NFL. He was once a lock to be an early first round draft pick.

Was really trying to capture the somberness of the moment with the processing.

I saw that injury on the replays on TV....oh...my....brought back shades of the Joe Theismann broken leg thing from 2 decades ago...almost made me sick. It was touching how both teams came out to show their support!!!

I saw the hit, it looked really bad. Unfortunately he has already had ACL reconstruction on his left knee(which wasn't injured) and now such severe damage to his right knee may be the end of his NFL hopes. I really hope that he can come back from this and play again. I tore my ACL and MCL three years ago playing touch football and had it rebuilt, but at my age it has never been the same, I can still play but no where near at the same level. It's frustrating for me. I can't begin to imagine how he must be feeling at this point.

I saw the hit, it looked really bad. Unfortunately he has already had ACL reconstruction on his left knee(which wasn't injured) and now such severe damage to his right knee may be the end of his NFL hopes. I really hope that he can come back from this and play again. I tore my ACL and MCL three years ago playing touch football and had it rebuilt, but at my age it has never been the same, I can still play but no where near at the same level. It's frustrating for me. I can't begin to imagine how he must be feeling at this point.

Yeah, nobody really knows if he will be able to play at an NFL level after he comes back. It's probably doubtful at this point. But if anybody can come back from that sort of injury, it's probably Marcus.

Derrel said:
I saw that injury on the replays on TV....oh...my....brought back shades of the Joe Theismann broken leg thing from 2 decades ago...almost made me sick. It was touching how both teams came out to show their support!!!

Hate to break the bad news Derrel but that was 3 decades ago.

I'm a Vol fan--and a mom; it was (yet another) tough loss for us, but also a reminder that there are far worse things than losing a football game. My heart went out to Marcus, and to his family, and the response of the UT side of the field literally brought tears to my eyes. If we don't win another game this year (and that's certainly possible, lol), we have much to be proud of in our football team for having the integrity to show that kind of respect for a fellow athlete. Marcus is a talented young man of (evidently) great character, and I hope that he recovers and goes on to great things.On

On another note, the defensive play of my Vols ALSO brought tears to my eyes...but that's a different story. :lmao:

I'm so thankful to hear that this injury may not be QUITE as bad as initially feared, and my prayers are with him and his family.

I can't tell you objectively whether your photo captures the moment the way you intended or not--it certainly brings the tears to MY eyes, again, but that's because I have an emotional attachment to the memory being portrayed.

Derrel said:

Hate to break the bad news Derrel but that was 3 decades ago.

No, it wasn't. That was in 1985, just a few years...oh. Dang, I'm old. :lmao:

Nothing turns my stomach more than seeing limbs go the wrong way.

I am a Clemson alum and I will say this. We do not like Carolina at all, however we would all like to see Marcus return to the field. He is a pleasure to watch. I do hope he returns to the field.

fjrabon said:
Yeah, nobody really knows if he will be able to play at an NFL level after he comes back. It's probably doubtful at this point. But if anybody can come back from that sort of injury, it's probably Marcus.

That's not necessarily true. They said it was a dislocated knee. I can remember the Miami play MaGhee had something like this and is playing in the nfl after.

I was him the best, hate to see talented people cut down like that.

Most reactions

Back