• I love it!

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • It is disgusting!

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • What the heck is marmite??

Votes: 23 67.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
is there any food in the states that can be compared to this 'marmite' stuff? or at least the controversy of it? maybe spam... and what the heck is black pudding? :shock:

ZaphodB said:
Just like donor kebabs.

If you ever make it to Sydney in your travels I command you to avoid all places that sell Donna Kebabs. Especially the really dodgey looking Caravans you occasionally see at Service Stations, we refer to them as 'Caravans of Courage' because you need lots of courage to eat the food from them. :lol:

For those wondering:

Donna Kebabs = Salmonella and all the other nasty germs as well as a weeks worth of saturated fats that will make you have a heart attack after the 5th bite.

thebeginning said:
is there any food in the states that can be compared to this 'marmite' stuff? or at least the controversy of it? maybe spam... and what the heck is black pudding? :shock:

The thing with Marmite is that a lot of people love it and just as many hate it. The company even jokes about it in their ads now. So if the US is divided, like on party lines, over whether Spam is delicious or just plain wrong, that might be comparable... although I've never really met anyone who claims to love spam (outside of Monty Python); I suspect that most folks who do have been placed in the relevant institutions for their own safety.

Black pudding, aka blood sausage. :pale:

Xmetal said:
Donna Kebabs = Salmonella and all the other nasty germs as well as a weeks worth of saturated fats that will make you have a heart attack after the 5th bite.

You're not wrong there at all, however they are generally recognised as one of the only truly effective hangover cures. You feel so bad after eating one, you completely forget about the hangover.

... although I've never really met anyone who claims to love spam (outside of Monty Python);

Errm, my dad likes spam! And that is one of the very few things I dislike about him ;)

ZaphodB said:
Black pudding, aka blood sausage. :pale:

Yes, the lil brother of white pudding .... which is even more ... well, let'S not discuss this ;)

The first time I had black pudding was by accident in Scotland for breakfast ... and I did not know what it was. So before I knew what it was it was quite OK :lmao: I think this is just psychology with some of us ...

I too recently ran out of Marmite and haven't been able to find it in any stores in this area (Florida panhandle also known as "lower Alabama", set your watches back 50 years) so I'm having to import it!
Sad state of affairs when you can buy crack easier than Marmite!

thebeginning said:

I never have tasted anything like it in the states. Nothing like spam, kind of a wierd peanut butter without the peanut taste :er: . I kind of liked Marmite it was different but I couldn't see myself eating it all the time. My English friends encouraged me to try it with a bit of warning. I didn't like the black pudding.

MommyOf4Boys said:
I have never heard of it either. It sounds like some kind of bug you would only see under a microscope!
Oh no, actually it appears rather large if you go for the large glasses (like if you have lots of mouths to feed ;) ) ;)

maybe someone could post what it looks like? mine is empty now unfortunately and currently I am in Germany so I have to wait until I get back to the UK.

mrsid99 said:
I too recently ran out of Marmite and haven't been able to find it in any stores in this area (Florida panhandle also known as "lower Alabama", set your watches back 50 years) so I'm having to import it!
Sad state of affairs when you can buy crack easier than Marmite!

Same in Germany .. :(
But at least we have salt and vinegar crisps now! Not as good as the ones in the UK, but OK if you cannot get the real thing ;)

Fortunately I am not only based here in Germany ... so I have my own routes to import marmite, crisps, cheddar, Bass ale ;)

looks like the fraction of marmite ignorant people will win the poll! hmm ..

Marmite
Marmite is a dark-brown coloured savoury spread made from the yeast extract a by-product of the brewing industry. It has a strong, slightly salty flavour. You either "love it or hate it". Can be eaten spread thinly on toast.

I like the "can" above, rather than "is" or "should" or "enjoyed when".

Marmite is great if you like savoury stuff. It's a healthy way of making a slice of plain toast interesting in the morning. Even delicatessen/posh sandwich shops in London will ask you how thick you want it spread - some like it trowelled on, and others just like a whiff shown to the bread. Ahh, marmite rituals eh?

White pudding and Irish breakfast anyone? lol...

Rob

Saved!
Marmite rations arrived in the mail yesterday! :drool: :drool: :) :)

MommyOf4Boys said:
I guess I should change my saying under my avatar to "marmite ignorant person" ?

yes, that is how we classify people in here ... ;) .. at least in this thread!

:hail:MARMITE:hail:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back