Marriage Counciling

morydd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.morydd.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
No, seriously, this thread belongs here.

My wife has wanted a new camera for a while. She had been looking at compacts to replace her several-years-old kodak 2mp P&S, but since I got my refurb 20D in Feb, all of a sudden she seems to want an SLR. Of course, if we're bringing another SLR into the house an EOS seems most sensible, as our budget is limited ($500), and buying more cheap glass seems silly. So, what do we do at this point. I'm assuming that the used/refurb 10/20D's aren't going to come down in price when the 40D hits the market. But neither of us are particularly happy with the XT's feel in the hands. So we're looking at the used 10D's at Adorama. Is this the best choice given the limits of our budget?

I would suggest a 20D over a 10D...even though the price is a bit higher. Firstly, the 10D isn't designed to work with EF-S lenses (even though it's a 1.6x 'crop' sensor). Secondly, it's a fair step back from the 20D (slow start up time, more noise etc.)

My first recommendation would have been a used or refurb XT...but if she thinks that is too small or has too much plastic...then I think a 20D would be the way to go. Or maybe an XT with a battery grip?

I dunno... I don't like the feel of the XT either... it just doesn't fit my hands very well. I would rather have a used 20D, no question about it, if I were going to have to choose a lower end Canon.

I'll put another vote in for the 20D. Again, I would've said XT as they can be had for $500 new(body only at B&H), but I understand the size thing.

Unfortunately the I don't see a 20D anywhere that's in the price range. For the time being, the price range is fairly fixed. Are there places to look other than B&H and Adorama for reliable used equipment?

Can you hold out for a couple of more weeks? Just wait and see if the price will drop on the 20D. I am fairly sure it will, since people will upgrade (me included) to the 40D. There's bound to be many used 20D's to hit the secondary market.

Waiting might be a good idea. Camera bodies do make a difference! If you aren't satisfied with it then you won't use it as much and may loose interest and -trust me ;)- you don't want her loosing interest.

mike

Waiting might be a good idea. Camera bodies do make a difference! If you aren't satisfied with it then you won't use it as much and may loose interest and -trust me ;)- you don't want her loosing interest.

mike

Well, I figure she can use the 10D until we can afford a 40D (or by that time 50D), then she'll get the 20D I have now... :)

We're not in a huge hurry, but I think she'd like to have it before our anniversary trip at the end of the month.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back