Matt or Gloss?

I print all my own. For simple prints (8x10) I use a semi gloss such as HP premium Semi Gloss. Anything important I use art papers such as Photo rag, Museum Etching, Premium Matt and good Semi Gloss.

A lot depends on what I'm trying to achieve. For my tastes though I like Museum Etching the best, It gives unbelievable detail on a rough textured paper. I'm also talking printing at 13x19 here. These prints just look gorgeous on the wall framed and matted.

I print mostly on gloss, but not high gloss. I have a separate channel in one of my printers for overcoating with a clear coat that gives a surface that is similar to air-dried silver gelatin, but with an even greater density range. Side-by-side with a matt print it is quite stunning - there's an extra depth to the shadows and almost three more stops of density range. They do require good lighting and good glazing (if used) to make the most of them, however. In poor lighting conditions a matt print can look as good or better.

Historically archival inkjet printing has been better on matt paper than on gloss, but this is no longer the case - high quality printing is available in both surfaces with archival pigment ink now.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

New Topics

Back